D&D 5E Favorite Unusual Races/Lineages

Lycurgon

Adventurer
Goblins - I like characters that don't understand social norms and are often underestimated. Goblins fit that perfectly.
One of my current characters is an 18th level Celestial Warlock Goblin, which I have played from 1st level over the past 3 years. He talks about himself in 3rd person in broken common, he over estimates his own abilities and has developed from a scared Goblin to become overconfident, but he still hates pain and tries to runs from anything that get next to him in combat. He is my favourite character I have played for a long time, possibly ever.

Kobolds - Same reason for liking Goblins but are also like little Dragons which is very cool. Also I am a fan of Deekin from Neverwinter Nights so that adds to the reasons I like them.
Havent played one yet but have a concept planned and want to play one as my next character.

Aasimar - I like the angelic nature and how that conflicts with fitting into society. How angelic does not mean nice. I like exploring how the drive to do good can lead to evil actions and angst. To me, divine goodness is a more interesting way to be screwed up than being a tiefling and screw up by devilish influence.
I have played a few Aasimar. One of of them was a human cleric that died and was reincarnate as an Aasimar (we found a table on the Internet that added in the Volo's races to the mix and that was the result rolled).

Leonin - I like cat people and like tabaxi too, but like these lion-like ones a little better.
I haven't played one yet but have played a tabaxi.

Dhampir - lots of angst and style to be had with a part vampiric character.
I have played one in a one-off but want to play one in a campaign at some point.

Changeling - I have like Changelings since playing Palladium Fantasy Roleplaying game in the 80s. While Eberron Changelings are different the concept is similar, and I like their natural appearance.
I haven't played a D&D Changeling yet.

ECMO3

Hero
Hello everyone. I am curious, what are your favourite unusual races/lineages? Why those races?

I will go first. My top 5 in order are:

1) Tortle - Mechanically robust (17 AC to start is excellent for spellcasters) Interesting racial backstory. For me, they are just fun.
2) Lizardfolk - There is just something fantastic about the alien mindset they have—a fun RP challenge.
3) Warforged - I have been playing since the 1980 box sets and remember survival games. Not having to eat or breathe takes away so many issues. The ultimate soldiers, as far as I am concerned. Honourable mention to Reborn for the same reason.
4) Fairy - What is not to love about the flying races and out of them, the fairy is my favourite. Now, if only they would allow us to play fairies or sprites.
5) Genasi - Not the most powerful but one of the most favourable. Want to play Korge - Earth Genasi. A character with flaming hair - Fire Genasi. Too much fun.

Here is my ratings. The ones in bold I have actually played. The ones not in bold I hope to play.

1. Goblin - the best two parts of cunning action without a single level of Rogue! Plus an awesome alpha strike at high levels. Being little so you can move right through large enemies while still having "big guy speed". This is my favorite race I have played and in all honesty I think it is the most powerful race available for most classes.

2. Hexblood - I have not actually played one yet, but you get Hex, my favorite 1st-level spell, as a free spell which can be cast with slots as well. Give me some of that.

3. Fizban Metallic Dragonborn - Breath weapon as part of an attack PB+1 times per day!

4. Glasya Tiefling - Invisibility, disguise self and fire resistance. Oh yeah! Only downer is you can't use your spell slots for the racial spells.

Note I can really get into role playing these races. I empathize with them and find it easy to slip into character. There are other races with attractive mechanics (like Lizardfolk and Tortles) but I can't role play them well, I don't connect with them, so I did not include them.

Remove ads