D&D 5E Favorite Unusual Races/Lineages

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
For my part, in no particular order, probably Minotaur, Eladrin, Satyr, Aasimar (or rather the Deva from 4e), Changelings, and Genasi.

Edit: oh, wemic are also cool. A proto-setting idea I have includes them.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Lizardfolk. Bullywugs. Minotaurs. Orcs. Goblins. Yuan-Ti. Thri-kreen. Dryads. Satyrs. Treants. Fairy Dragons.

Because they're unusual. Uncommon. Mostly monstrous and depicted as the baddies or they're just interesting.

Lyxen

Great Old One
And for those saying that Tasha did not implement power creep and that Floating ASIs are not a powergamer option: "1) Tortle - Mechanically robust (17 AC to start is excellent for spellcasters)..." But at least, it's clear and assumed.

As for me, I have not often seen an unusual race being roleplayed very unusually. These day, we have a fantastic lizardfolk called "hunts-the-monkey" in our Avernus campaign, whose personality is almost opaque to every member of the group and whose cultural gestures (painting scales, clacking his teeth) are almost always misunderstood. We have a great Medusa from Odyssey of the Dragonlords, but it's the effect of a curse, not really a racial thing, and she's more an amazon at heart. And I played a Yuan-ti bard to great effect, but the campaign was extremely unusual.

Finally:
3) Warforged - I have been playing since the 1980 box sets and remember survival games

I thought Eberron came out in 2004 ?...

From play experience (not really in order):
Tortle - Maybe it’s just the TMNT influence, but this is some of the most fun I’ve had playing D&D

Yuan-ti - You get to talk like thisssss

Genasi - Elementals are easy to understand thematically and give a strong foundation for building character concepts. In the past couple of years I’ve had the chance to do a trilogy of Genasi characters: fire, air and earth

Kenku - A cursed flightless bird that mimics sounds? What’s not to like?

Githyanki - Classic D&D race, also psionics are cool

I really want to try:
Warforged - does this one even need an explanation?
Tabaxi - I’m a cat person, but I want to be a cat-person
Minotaur - I played an albino Minotaur back in 2E, would like to reboot that character idea someday in 5E
Githzerai - See Githyanki

There are plenty of others, but they’re the first things that come to mind.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
thri kreen four arms, cool bug look, mind powers they are nearly perfect for me.
shardmind mind power, no need to eat, turns into a razor swarm cool.
struggling from here my you guys likely get what I want a diet aberration at this point like what Dragonborn are to dragons.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Big fan of larger goblinoids, I dont know why.
Orcs and Half-orcs are pretty cool too.

From 4e, I'm an uber fan of Shardmind, Deva and Wilden.

Fauns/Satyr (especially my ''tiefling-esque'' take on them) and pixies are pretty cool when I'm on a fey trip.

Arilyn

Hero
Some of my favourites are:

Firbolg: I really like the aesthetic of these guys.

Changeling: Had a lot of fun with my Changeling in Eberron. They had three distinct forms and personalities they took on from their rogue class: a writer of pulp fiction, a detective and a "new age" healer type.

Tortle: Haven't played one or had one in my game but I like them a lot.

Eladrin: I really like the seasonal aspects.

Kalashtar: Interesting with a lot of role play potential.

Remove ads