D&D 5E Favorite Unusual Races/Lineages

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Changelings are fantastic. Right now they would be #6 on my list, but depending on the day they can go right up to #2. For a spy-type game, there is no better race. I also love them as assassins. A changeling Soul Knife is scary good.
For some reason I really want to play a changeling artificer.

Vael

Legend
In no particular order:

Changelings - I keep playing them, despite everytime I end up wearing the same face most of the time. But I still love them.
Warforged - As you can probably guess, Eberron is my favourite DnD campaign setting. And I quite like the warforged.
Eladrin - I prefer a more fey elf, and I like the otherworldly nature of the Eladrin
Thri-Kreen - I'm not sure how much I like gritty, dark games, but I do like Dark Sun and 4-armed Mantis hunter people.
Pixie - I get that flying can be problematic for DMs, which is why my preferred flying lineage is a tiny fey spirit.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
All of my 3 favorite races are weird:
  • Gnomes are possibly the weirdest race in the PHB, with their strange quirks and eccentric behavior.
  • Warforged are the only official "construct" race in D&D 5e (unless you include the Reborn lineage), and their story is a really interesting one (being created for a war, eventually being given freedom, and having an extremist group trying to retake a fallen kingdom as their new homeland).
  • Lizardfolk have weird mannerisms, kind of like the Gnomes, but are especially strange due to their reptilian nature. They don't understand human emotions, how to laugh, and see dead bodies as food to be eaten. They can be really fun to roleplay, and are pretty solid mechanically, too.
  • (Honorable Mention: The Autognome from the most recent Unearthed Arcana, which combines some of the main aspects of the Gnome race with the Warforged, which, once it becomes official, may surpass the Lizardfolk to be my 3rd favorite race in the game. They're great mechanically, can have really interesting themes and characters, and would add a lot to any campaign, IMO.)

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Wemic's are great. What book are they published in? I have not seen them on D&D Beyond, and I own everything there.
They and the Hybsil are still absent from 5e (though a Leonin and Satyr probably get you rather close).

My favorite "unusual" are Goblins, which i expect to be core in the 2024 version of 5e, and Kobolds. i enjoy being underestimated.

Remove ads