Favourite D&D adventure

Zog

First Post
Ohhhh - an oldie bu a goodie

Module B4 - The Lost City.

For a basic D&D, old school module, this one was a shinning gem. Tons of actual role-playing possabilities with drugged up wierdos wandering around a buried pyramid. An evil cult, some ghosts seeking their final rest, an underground city - a foul monster, old religions existing in secret - The module itself was OK, kind of interesting. But then it had this 2-4 page section on 'expanding the adventure' - details of the underground city, future plots, the old religions, fighting the cult of Zargon (or whatever its name was). It was just really cool.

About half the pyramid was fully detailed. The bottom half was sketched out, designed for higher level characters. *laugh* And really needing a reality check. If I recall, it had Hill giants, mummies, and displacer beasts in various rooms on the same level of the buried pyramid. Really silly, non-logical stuff. But this cool idea that each room showed part of the final journey the dead take, so each one had this painting showing a scene... The final room, which would have shown paradise, was now the lair of Zargon the great beast! And its horn kept regenerating, unless you carried it across the underground city (ruled by worshippers of Zargon!) out across the underground sea and to the eye of fire (had to get past those pesky salamanders first...)

And the detail in the module was just about that. The first part was all filled in, box text, NPC speeches, the works. Great for a newbie DM or someone who wanted an easy setup. The later parts could be filled in as fits your campaign and players needs.

So, um, yeah long post, but I have fond memories of the module.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Yeah, B4 was a great one! About a year ago I got nostalgic for it so I tracked it down on EBay, and bought it (for about $8, I think). Ahh... basic edition goodness.

BV210

Explorer
B-10, Night's Dark Terror. Awesome start (stumbling upon goblins attacking a homestead), terrific intertwined storyline, and some of the best maps I've seen.

Harlock

First Post
I've already voted for my number one, but hearing everyone talk about b4 got me thinking about that one again. That was a cool module too. There's been some real winners out there.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Fav...

Geez... that IS tough...

Before giving my final vote, here are my honorable mentions...

B10 - Night's Dark Terror - I converted this to a 3rd edition module, upped the baddie powers, and ran my PCs through it starting at 6th level. They were 10th level when we finished... but it took 6 months! Great module!

B7 - Rahasia - Very strong on story, long and happy on twists. Love the "symbiotic powers" of the witches and the fact that they possess innocents, forcing the party to kill instead of capture... especially good if the last of the witches possesses a party member w/o the knowledge of the others.

Basic Set Dungeon - You know, the one in the DMG where the PCs are entering the lair of Bargle the Infamous? Great for newbie DMs.

B1-9 - For the bare fact that it gave you grand tour of the Grand Duchy of Karameikos and showed you how to tie adventures together.

X10 - Red Arrow Black Shield - For sheer mass combat goodness, it doesn't get better than this at intermediate levels.

X8 - Drums on Fire Mountain - Sadly underrated. You have a well-developed villain and an interesting culture clash.

X1 - Isle of Dread - Similarly underrated for its cultural and role-playing aspects.

T1-4 - Temple of Elemental Evil - Slightly overrated IMO, but still the biggest baddest dungeon around.

DA1 - Adventures in Blackmoor - This adventure was 15 pages of backstory, 15 pages of NPCs complete with motivations, and about 18 pages of actual fighting/adventure. Still strikes me as the best way to do a module since the DM knows exactly who is doing what and why... including historical reasons. :) This is my second-favorite. DA4, the Duchy of Ten, was good too, but DA2 and DA3 were a bit disappointing.

And the winner is...

N4 - Treasure Hunt - This is IMO the quintessential adventure for newbie players AND newbie GMs. I have used this as a jumping off point for multiple campaigns and it's always a blast... escape from pirates, get marooned on an island, fight the elements, meet a wacky old coot, converse with a vengeful goddess set on destroying the island, infiltrate a manor where goblins and orcs are fighting a turf war, sneak into the cellars/basement below the manor to find the hidden boat, betrayal by the old codger, and a twist at the end when you DO find the boat. *drools* Excellent stuff. Some PCs may not appreciate the "you're captured and lose your stuff" at the beginning of the adventure, but if you use it as, "this is how you started your careers" I have never had a problem. But it probably *is* unusable as anything but a campaign kickoff. That said, it's the best campaign kick-off I know of. Ever. And that's why I like it... you get your players attention and hold it the whole time, and by the time they're done, they have some experience, they have some stuff, and they have had a wonderful ride. :)

--The Sigil

Psion

Adventurer
Dead Gods

This is Monte's masterpeice, IMO. A gripping, plane-spanning, epic adventure with investigation, intrigue, and bizarre happenings.

Other adventures that have a special place in my heart:

Isle of Dread
GDQ1-7
Return to the Tomb of Horror (not the original- that was just a meatgrinder)
I5 - Lost Tomb of Martek

Last edited:

Remove ads