D&D 5E Fear spell HELP!!!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Woa there, are some of you suggesting that the "fear cone" persists for the entire duration of concentration? So a goblin who wasn't in the area during the spell could, say, on round 3 walk into it and be affected too?

That is a *really big change* to how such spells have been run in the past. It wouldn't just affect fear. This really doesn't sound right at all! :O

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Woa there, are some of you suggesting that the "fear cone" persists for the entire duration of concentration? So a goblin who wasn't in the area during the spell could, say, on round 3 walk into it and be affected too?

That is a *really big change* to how such spells have been run in the past. It wouldn't just affect fear. This really doesn't sound right at all! :O

Yeah, I think I have to agree with this. Fear is only a 3rd level spell after all. On top of that, if a caster would be able to keep this fear cone up perpetually throughout the 1 minute duration and keep trying to get enemies in it, it would have rules within the spell on how/why/what action you'd need to move the cone.

The fact that Fear does not have rules for moving the cone or talks about people entering the cone in a later round... seems to indicate that the blast of fear happens only once, and only affects in total those people within the 30' cone at the time of casting. The 1 minute duration to me tells us how long a Frightened individual can remain frightened so long as they are unable to break line of sight (10 rounds provided the caster maintains concentration.) Then at the end of 1 minute the Frightened individual stops being frightened, even if the caster maintained concentration the entire time.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
The fact that Fear does not have rules for moving the cone or talks about people entering the cone in a later round... seems to indicate that the blast of fear happens only once, and only affects in total those people within the 30' cone at the time of casting. The 1 minute duration to me tells us how long a Frightened individual can remain frightened so long as they are unable to break line of sight (10 rounds provided the caster maintains concentration.) Then at the end of 1 minute the Frightened individual stops being frightened, even if the caster maintained concentration the entire time.

That does seem more in line with the power of a 3rd level spell. Going with this interpretation, the initial cone is instantaneous duration, and the fear affect is 1 minute (concentration). Probably the right way to run it, given there is no text about moving the cone or affecting new targets.

Remove ads