• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat-a-day design challenge

NMcCoy

Explorer
Wanted to challenge myself to see how long I could keep this up, designing and posting a relatively solid feat each day. This seemed like the place to do it, where I can get some critique and feedback. Just so I'm not tempted to cheat, I'll include some extra feats I've already come up with beforehand in this post:

Paragon Feat: Wand Sniper
Prerequisites: Dex 15
Benefit: When wielding a wand, increase the range of all your arcane ranged attack powers by your Dexterity modifier.

Paragon Feat: Spell Mobility
Prerequisites: Wis 15
Benefit: When you take an action to move the effect of one of your arcane conjuration or zone powers, increase the distance you can move it by 2.

Paragon feat: Arcane Eruption
Prerequisites: Con 15, Int 15
Benefit: When using an arcane area burst attack power, you may choose to instead make it a close burst of the same size. If you do, you are not considered a target of the attack. If the power affects squares, it still affects your square.

July 16 | Heroic feat: Gutsy Shot
Benefit: You get a +1 bonus to ranged attack rolls made against an adjacent target.

July 17 | Paragon Feat: Staff Sweep
Prerequisites: Con 17
Benefit: When you make a melee basic attack with a staff and you have combat advantage, you knock the target prone if the attack hits.

July 18 | Heroic Feat: Dire Impact
Benefit: If you score a critical hit with a power that pushes the target, increase the distance pushed by 2.

July 19 | Epic feat: Inexorable Corrosion
Benefit: As an immediate interrupt, when an enemy succeeds on a saving throw to end ongoing acid damage you caused, you may treat the success as a failure.

Last edited:

Olfactatron

Explorer
Heroic Feat:Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit: You gain a +2 proficiency bonus with unarmed attacks. Your unarmed attacks deal 1d6 damage and gain the offhand property.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Got some time on my hands, so I'm doing tomorrow's early:
Staffs get no love in the PHB. There's no fighter powers that benefit from them (despite the mention of the weapon group at the start of the fighter section), and one feat that mentions staffs (in the Epic tier, at that). Here's a special treat for the wizards who like to mix it up in melee, the multiclassers who like bashing things with implements, and the fighters who make strange weapon choices. No promises that it won't break when we get a Monk. Or that it works at all - I don't have much opportunity to playtest these.

July 17 | Paragon Feat: Staff Sweep
Prerequisites: Con 17
Benefit: When you make a melee basic attack with a staff and you have combat advantage, you knock the target prone if the attack hits.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Wasn't sure if this belonged in Heroic or Paragon, but I don't think it'll break things horribly at Heroic. I've actually got a character that can make use of it right now, so I'll see if I can talk my DM into letting me take it - I want to get some actual playtesting done for these things, as much as possible. I'll also try to talk people in my group into making some Paragon and Epic characters so we can get a feel for how fights go at those tiers.

July 18 | Heroic Feat: Dire Impact
Benefit: If you score a critical hit with a power that pushes the target, increase the distance pushed by 2.

Starfox

Hero
4E is indeed new territory for feats (and powers, rituals etc), and this covers ground that needs to be covered. The old Netbook of Feats project has been alive continuously will try and come out with a final 3.5 version soon; after that the plan is to move over to 4E. If you feel like it, you could submit these new feats there (ULR in my sig).

NMcCoy

Explorer
I'm not so sure about this one, as I have no experience with epic-level play, but it seems roughly in line with the other feats of that tier. Take this feat with a grain of salt, I guess. I did go through quite a few revisions of the concept before coming up with something that would be easy to track and unambiguous, while still remaining effective. Note that it can be foiled by effects that let a creature make multiple saving throws in a round. Initial attempts had phrases like "the first time" and "each encounter", and that seemed to have huge potential for ambiguities whether that meant per-creature, or the first time anyone saved, or whether inflicting ongoing acid if they already had it was a new effect, etc... Not to mention tracking issues for who'd had a save negated already and who hadn't. This version hooks into the economy of actions to keep things working simply and elegantly.

July 19 | Epic feat: Inexorable Corrosion
Benefit: As an immediate interrupt, when an enemy succeeds on a saving throw to end ongoing acid damage you caused, you may treat the success as a failure.

Last edited:

MeMeMeMe

First Post
Should that feat be listed as an encounter power, so it can't be used repeatedly to force the same target to keep failing his saving throw?

NMcCoy

Explorer
That's as intended, actually - if you can afford to burn your immediate action every round on maintaining the acid damage, it seems reasonable to allow it. There are few acid powers, and only one feat that supports them, so I wanted to provide a pretty solid benefit. That said, if someone playtests it and finds it to be overpowered, there's no reason not to alter it to be more balanced.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads