D&D 5E Feat for extra reactions?

Pauln6

Hero
I came up with it for an idea to make the Fighter into a Captain. That is, a person whose greatness and prowess is an inspiration to allies, and a source of dread to enemies.

The idea was, you mostly take the Battle Master fighter, and you put this feature on it in place of the normal extra attack progression, and suddenly the tactical applications increase, Rally becomes a bigger effect, etc.

Then it should just be a matter of adding some minor follower and stronghold features that mostly effect downtime, and let the fighter use Action Surge and Second Wind for allies (perhaps with a feat), and you’ve got a Captain.
A feat that added an extra reaction would certainly make a Warlord build much more interesting.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I came up with it for an idea to make the Fighter into a Captain. That is, a person whose greatness and prowess is an inspiration to allies, and a source of dread to enemies.

The idea was, you mostly take the Battle Master fighter, and you put this feature on it in place of the normal extra attack progression, and suddenly the tactical applications increase, Rally becomes a bigger effect, etc.

Then it should just be a matter of adding some minor follower and stronghold features that mostly effect downtime, and let the fighter use Action Surge and Second Wind for allies (perhaps with a feat), and you’ve got a Captain.
This seems more reliable then an opportunity attack. I am not saying don't do it, but I am saying that in the specific case of Sneak Attack where it triggers once per turn it can end up increasing the effectiveness a lot.

I am coming across this playing an Order Cleric (subclass from Ravnica). They can grant a single reaction attack when targeting an ally with a spell of 1st level or higher. That's much more limited - it requires you target the rogue (so not other allies or foes) and uses a daily resource, so it's much more limited. And still it's making a big change.

Perhaps change Sneak Attack to once per round, and give it some other minor benefit to make up for the minor nerf.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This seems more reliable then an opportunity attack. I am not saying don't do it, but I am saying that in the specific case of Sneak Attack where it triggers once per turn it can end up increasing the effectiveness a lot.

I am coming across this playing an Order Cleric (subclass from Ravnica). They can grant a single reaction attack when targeting an ally with a spell of 1st level or higher. That's much more limited - it requires you target the rogue (so not other allies or foes) and uses a daily resource, so it's much more limited. And still it's making a big change.

Perhaps change Sneak Attack to once per round, and give it some other minor benefit to make up for the minor nerf.
Tbh, I consider the rogue balanced just fine if they get a second SA most rounds.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Tbh, I consider the rogue balanced just fine if they get a second SA most rounds.
Is that theoretical or actual play? The example I brought up is basically how our rogue 7 is overperforming everyone in terms of focus fire damage when I'm regularly give him an extra SA every round with my Order Cleric. Our paladin isn't too far behind as long as she still has smite slots, but that's a limited resource as a half caster.

Something where it's not limited to daily resources so it could happen even more seems too powerful.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Is that theoretical or actual play? The example I brought up is basically how our rogue 7 is overperforming everyone in terms of focus fire damage when I'm regularly give him an extra SA every round with my Order Cleric. Our paladin isn't too far behind as long as she still has smite slots, but that's a limited resource as a half caster.

Something where it's not limited to daily resources so it could happen even more seems too powerful.
I’ve got a Swahsbuckler rogue with mage slayer, and a few levels of fighter battle master and the riposte manuever, and our main fighter has commanders strike. I’ve also run a game with a rogue who used sentinel and stuck to the Barbarian like a tag team partner.

So, experience.

Remove ads