D&D 5E Feat for extra reactions?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Opportunity attacks are intended to always be there every round. They're already unlimited. Maneuvers aren't unlimited, but they're not much more powerful than a cantrip (any maneuver that was listed as a 1st level spell would never be played, at least),
I agree
and War Caster already lets you opportunity attack with a cantrip. That's only a third of what that feat does and the other two effects are arguably better. One effect (advantage on concentration saving throws due to damage) definitely is.
Sounds like a solid feat this to establish the idea not being op.
On the other hand, spells in general are balanced around the idea that you can only expend them so quickly. That's the action economy at work. Spells that are reactions are both more powerful because you can cast them essentially without spending an action, and more limited because you have to wait for the trigger to happen. However, it also means that you have to make a hard choice. Do you cast Counterspell, Shield, or Absorb Elements? You can't do more than one. Breaking that restriction drastically increases the potency of reaction spells because they suddenly actually have no action cost and they have triggers like "you're hit by an attack" or "someone casts a spell". Those triggers happen all the time. None of these spells were designed around that.

There are a total of six spells between the PHB and XGtE that are reactions, and in my experience the three I mentioned are a routine component of every spellcaster's arsenal who has them on their list.
OK sold.

Quickleaf

Legend
One thing a fighter might be able to do is trade Extra Attacks for reactions, with the condition that the additional reactions must have different triggers.

This presents a trade-off. You can gain additional opportunity attacks, but you need to anticipate the enemy's actions wisely in order to gain that benefit.

It's also a potential power-up for the Sentinel feat in certain scenarios (i.e. multiple attackers trying to move away from or bypass the fighter PC without using Disengage).

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Once thing a fighter might be able to do is trade Extra Attacks for reactions, with the condition that the additional reactions must have different triggers.
I think it was kind of implausible this guy could do 4 attacks and only react once.... hmmmm .

delph

Explorer
In most of use it isn't owerpowered, but there are 2 situation, when it is - Sneak attacks and Smites. You can deal mega damage per turn...

Shiroiken

Legend
I think a feat that allowed you to make an extra reaction once per rest (like action surge for actions) would be reasonable. I can think of some potential abuse, but by limiting to once per rest (short or long) it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Horwath

Legend
I think a feat that allowed you to make an extra reaction once per rest (like action surge for actions) would be reasonable. I can think of some potential abuse, but by limiting to once per rest (short or long) it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

that would be worst feat ever.

Shiroiken

Legend
that would be worst feat ever.
How so? I find Savage Attacker to by the worst by far, with Charger fitting the same distance between it and the next worse. Even as is, it's still better than those turds. Let's take it as a basic concept, however, then consider the following:

• Slap an ability score boost (probably Dex) with the ability and it's no worse than: Athlete, Actor, Keen Mind, Linguist, Medium Armor Master, and Weapon Master.
  • Toss in another similar type ability or two and it's no worse than: Grappler, Mage Slayer, Martial Adept, Mounted Combatant, Ritual Caster, Sentinel, or Skulker.
They all perform the exact same thing: allowing a character to break 1 or 2 minor rules at that cost of +2 to their primary ability score. Is it worth it? In all the above, I'd say absolutely not, but others disagree. However, they do allow a very specific character concept to arise, such as the Battlemaster PC the OP described.

Horwath

Legend
Feat:
Combat reflexes; requirements: 13 dex, +1 to str or dex
You have 2 reactions per round. You can only use one reaction per trigger.

delph

Explorer
Feat:
Combat reflexes; requirements: 13 dex, +1 to str or dex
You have 2 reactions per round. You can only use one reaction per trigger.
get +1 DEX/STR and 2 reactions is overpowerd. Maybe 2 "extra" reactions per short rest. Or 1 "extra reaction" when you roll an initiative... As many other half-feats.

When you take Second Chance feat - you'll get +1 Dex and 1 per initiative roll chance to reroll enemies roll.

NotAYakk

Legend
The basic calculus of reactions is this.

If your build invests in extra reactions, it is because you have a way to trigger them reliably at modest cost.

So the value of extra reactions is similar to the value of extra attacks, minus a tad. Then there are diminishing returns on it.

And it isn't hard to get reactions pretty often. Sentinel feat, for example. Or Dissonant Whispers and a number of other spells. Or polearm mastery with some positioning and pushing.

Having this as a level 18 capstone in a subclass that already grants easy access to reactions is one thing; you can bake the power of "every reaction is worth almost an attack" into that subclass. Doing it as a feat means you have to consider all of the ways at much lower levels you can pull off a build based on it.

Action economy is extremely powerful.

---

Now, you can do something like this:

Combat Reflexes
When you expend a reaction to make a melee weapon attack when a creature leaves your threatened area, you can regain the reaction at the end of the current turn. You cannot do this again until you dodge as an action (not a bonus action) or complete a rest.

You'll notice I restricted it highly. It permits you to hold a line against multiple foes slightly better.

Last edited:

Remove ads