D&D 5E Feat for extra reactions?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What about instead a feat that lets them gain 1 Legendary Action per round. It can be used when a reaction could be used, or at the end of any turn. When they would gain an additional Extra Attack, they instead gain an additional Legendary Action per round.

Now, you can do something like this:

Combat Reflexes
When you expend a reaction to make a melee weapon attack when a creature leaves your threatened area, you can regain the reaction at the end of the current turn. You cannot do this again until you dodge as an action (not a bonus action) or complete a rest.

You'll notice I restricted it highly. It permits you to hold a line against multiple foes slightly better.
For cleanliness' sake, I would do one or the other: on-rest recharge or on-dodge activation. I do like it with dodge better than giving up attacks as I did with Hold the Line, and I think that giving up your whole action is sufficient payment that it doesn't need another limit. Perhaps

HOLD THE LINE
  • Increase your Dexterity or Constitution score by 1.
  • When you use the Dodge action on your turn, you can perform a reaction once per turn until the beginning of your next turn.

What about instead a feat that lets them gain 1 Legendary Action per round. It can be used when a reaction could be used, or at the end of any turn. When they would gain an additional Extra Attack, they instead gain an additional Legendary Action per round.
Thinking outside the box: I like it. I'm not sure this is exactly what's needed here, but definitely putting legendary-actions-on-PCs on the back burner for future use.

hmm. i think i would avoid handing out extra actions but what if the fighter traded some of his attacks form his attack action over to AOOs? so they can mimic the CAV fighter but at a cost.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
For cleanliness' sake, I would do one or the other: on-rest recharge or on-dodge activation. I do like it with dodge better than giving up attacks as I did with Hold the Line, and I think that giving up your whole action is sufficient payment that it doesn't need another limit. Perhaps

HOLD THE LINE
  • When you use the Dodge action on your turn, you can perform a reaction once per turn until the beginning of your next turn.
I really like this. Combining this with Riposte makes for something I've never been able to actually make in dnd, but have always wanted to. A character who takes a defensive position, and then wrecks anyone who attacks them. On an MC BM/Drunken Master Monk, I'd finally be able to fully realize the defensive master who is most dangerous when their opponent thinks they have the edge.

NotAYakk

Legend
how does one do that with say the picture prime example opportunity attacks?
Sentinel? Pole Arm Mastery? Surround yourself and have your enemies be feared and be forced to use their action to move?

All of those are opportunity attacks. If you have 1 OA/turn, you just generated an insane amount of damage. And if you can do that per round, your Fighter + force enemies to flee or approach is a Fireball.

If you compare this with 4e, fear effects where all forced movement. So they did not provoke OAs.

HOLD THE LINE
Note that mine gives you a free OA per rest. You can just recharge it by using dodge.

Yours synergizes with monk dodge as a bonus action. Mine on purpose does not. I want it to be maximally strong on a fighter holding the line, not a monk.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Sentinel? Pole Arm Mastery? Surround yourself and have your enemies be feared and be forced to use their action to move?

All of those are opportunity attacks. If you have 1 OA/turn, you just generated an insane amount of damage. And if you can do that per round, your Fighter + force enemies to flee or approach is a Fireball.

If you compare this with 4e, fear effects where all forced movement. So they did not provoke OAs.

nods.... no built in counters except a very restrictive number of reactions.... how about this for a fighter I have been considering away to trade on attacks to get extra reactions

I do not mind fighters getting fireballs if they are expending at least 2 attacks and situational get the enemy clumped up to get them.

Come and get it in 4e kind of felt like a fireball at times.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Note that mine gives you a free OA per rest. You can just recharge it by using dodge.
I do like that a fighter dodging is then still being more badass aggressive while doing it.

No wait that isn't what you said... hmmmm I wonder how it would work if it was making as many as one liked up to ones number of attacks but only while dodging.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
i like the flavor of it. Though i think even being able to 1 for 1 take an opportunity attack and reduce your extra attacks next turn or something similar.

Remove ads