• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat quick-reference (PEACH)

Wyvern

Explorer
I've been working on creating a quick-reference guide to 5e character creation, including a summary list of feats. This is *not* intended as a substitute for actually reading the full description of the feats -- it's meant to aid players, especially new ones, in selecting a feat without having to read through the entire list, by providing a basic idea of what each one does. Some of them, such as Linguist, Skilled, Tough and Heavily Armored, are very easy to summarize in this fashion. However, it's not so simple when it comes to feats that provide several discrete benefits around a common theme, such as Crossbow Expert. I don't want to just say that it makes you better at using crossbows, but I'd like to do more (or rather, less) than simply paraphrase each individual effect. I want a description that's succinct (no more than 1-2 lines) and keeps game-mechanical jargon to the minimum necessary. The ones I've marked in italics are the ones I like as-is, and can be used as examples of what I'm going for. I'm open to suggestions for improving any of the others, *especially* Crossbow Expert. (I've left out that ones that are simply "gain X", but if you want to see how I worded them, you can find the entire list at the link above.)

Actor: +1 Cha; advantage on ability checks to pass as someone else

Alert: +5 initiative, can't be surprised or ambushed

Athlete: +1 Str or Dex; climb faster, jump better, stand quickly from prone

Charger: can attack or shove a target as a bonus action after Dashing, with increased effect

Crossbow Expert: reload more quickly, no penalty on ranged attacks while engaged, attack off-hand w/ hand crossbow

Defensive Duelist: can attempt to parry attacks

Dual Wielder: +1 AC when dual-wielding, can use larger offhand weapons

Dungeon Delver: better at finding traps and secret doors, avoid or reduce damage from traps

Durable: +1 Con; increases minimum result when rolling Hit Dice for healing

Elemental Adept: overcome resistance and reroll 1s when casting one type of elemental spell

Grappler: attack grappled opponent w/ advantage, can attempt to pin them

Great Weapon Master: can take an attack penalty to do more damage w/ heavy weapons; bonus attack when critting or dropping opponents

Healer: use healer's kits to greater effect

Heavy Armor Master: +1 Str; reduce damage from non-magical weapons

Inspiring Leader: pep talk to allies gives temporary hit points

Keen Mind: +1 Int; unerring sense of time & direction, improved memory

Lucky: can spend points from a pool for rerolls

Mage Slayer: good at interrupting spells, advantage on spell saves when adjacent to caster

Medium Armor Master: higher cap on Dex bonus in medium armor, and no stealth penalty

Mobile: +10 to speed; move more easily in difficult terrain, avoid counter-attacks when making hit-and-run attacks

Mounted Combatant: attack unmounted opponents w/ advantage, redirect or reduce damage to mount

Observant: +1 Int or Wis; increase passive Perception and Investigation scores, can read lips

Polearm Master: can make bonus attack with butt of polearm, opportunity attacks against approaching opponents

Resilient: +1 and proficient in saves for one ability of your choice

Savage Attacker: reroll melee damage dice and use higher result

Sentinel: can lock down opponents w/ opportunity attacks, and counter-attack when they attack your allies

Sharpshooter: ignore range and cover penalties, can take an attack penalty to do more damage w/ ranged weapons

Shield Master: can shove w/ shield, use shield to assist w/ Dex saves

Skulker: better at hiding, attacking from cover, seeing in dim light

Spell Sniper: spell attacks have greater range and ignore cover; gain one cantrip from a list of your choice

Tavern Brawler: +1 Str or Con; better at attacking unarmed or w/ improvised weapons, can grapple as a bonus action

War Caster: better at concentrating on spells, can cast while armed & use spells as opportunity attacks

Remove ads