• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat to fix tired old race/class combinations

Sceadeau

First Post
I was tired of my players only taking the most mathematically correct class/race combinations, so I created these feats to open up their options. It really has opened up a world of combinations (something I'm trying to spur with it).

6 new feats that add a racial bonus to stats (ie: only works if you don't already have the bump).

This should open up a lot of different race/class combinations

Feat:

Strength Training: +2 racial bonus to STR

Agility Training: +2 racial bonus to DEX

Tough Childhood: +2 racial bonus to CON

Studious: +2 racial bonus to INT

Charmer: +2 racial bonus to CHA

Meditative: +2 racial bonus to WIS

These feats can only be taken at level 1 -- and can never be retrained out or in.

Sceadeau

First Post
My other thought was to have it swap out a racial (so lose 1 racial stat bump, add this), but I thought that wasn't getting enough for the cost of a feat.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I let my players swap racial bonuses around at their whim, at character creation. (Humans get a second +2 and get to double-up one of their racial traits.) Racial stat boosts create a major mental block for players who consider atypical race/class combos, but where those bonuses end up just isn't very important.

CapnZapp

Legend
My other thought was to have it swap out a racial (so lose 1 racial stat bump, add this), but I thought that wasn't getting enough for the cost of a feat.
I think you have something here, only you followed the minor truth and not the big one...

I think you should keep the swap idea. But if this isn't good enough for a feat, then why have it as a feat?

Why not give it out for free? (Or at least have it cost less than a feat, whatever that means)

(Getting a +2 bonus to Strength is probably too good for a feat - that's effectively +1 to attacks and +1 to damage - even if it doesn't apply to those races that already give a bonus to Strength. Another reason for the swap)

Mad Hamish

First Post
I was tired of my players only taking the most mathematically correct class/race combinations, so I created these feats to open up their options. It really has opened up a world of combinations (something I'm trying to spur with it).

6 new feats that add a racial bonus to stats (ie: only works if you don't already have the bump).

This should open up a lot of different race/class combinations

Feat:

Strength Training: +2 racial bonus to STR

Agility Training: +2 racial bonus to DEX

Tough Childhood: +2 racial bonus to CON

Studious: +2 racial bonus to INT

Charmer: +2 racial bonus to CHA

Meditative: +2 racial bonus to WIS

These feats can only be taken at level 1 -- and can never be retrained out or in.

I can see a few problems with them off the top of my head
1) Humans can use their bonus feat to give themselves 2 fully customisable stat bonuses.
2) Dwarven fighters are already pretty darned good, giving them a +2 to str probably makes them the best in the game.
3) it's effectively +1 to hit and damage with 1 feat if it goes on the primary attack stat for a class.

So it's something I think could cause some problems.

Mengu

First Post
There is certainly some abuse potential here. Like mentioned the dwarf fighter is the primary example. A Dragonborn Rogue suddenly becomes a better option than a Halfling Rogue.

I'm not sure if you are eliminating the race/class stereotypes with this feat. It just changes around the good stuff and creates a different set of optimal choices. But if it fixes some inherent problems with the choices your group is making (playing elf warlords and eladrin paladins), then it's all good.

Kcinlive

Explorer
Well in my opinion making them feats makes them too powerful. What you could do instead is change the way races work.

For each race with two +2 stats, the player picks one of the stats to get the +2 increase. Then they can pick any other stat to get a +2 increase as long as it isn't the same stat.

Just a thought.

-Kcinlive

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I give this free to all PCs (I call it the "heroic bonus") and then compensate with a few less points in point-buy. The result is that characters have slightly better secondary stats than normal, and any race can be about as good at any class.

Doing it as a feat is interesting, but it's too good of a feat. Every single character would get a tremendous benefit from selecting this at first level (even single-stat classes like wizard).

-- 77IM

Remove ads