D&D 5E Feats are spells...does that mean fewer classes?

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I am aware that I am looking at this from a particular point of view, with a big dose of speculation, so bear with me.

Feats seem to have evolved, or devolved depending on your opinion, into spells.

Like a spell, feats:

Are small packages of rules that supersede other RAW.
Have levels, with higher level spells being more powerful.
Sometimes require material components or equipment.

Unlike spells, feats:

Are usually not magical in nature.
Sometimes have prerequisites in addition to being of a certain level.
Are usually always active or usable at will.
Do not need to be prepared or selected...it isn't a Vancian system, not completely anyway.

In addition:
Spellcasters don't get as many feats as non spellcasters, making feats fit the design space of spells for non-magical classes.

But even with the differences, the lines are often blurred...notice the liberal use of words like "sometimes" and "usually" above..so even the differences aren't always true. Feats are becoming very much like a variant spell system. Just as powers like powers gobbled up and ate feats in 4e, feats are taking over the design space of powers in Next.

And so, if you agree to think of the feat system as an alternate spell system, what if you created a list of magical feats and used that for your spellcasting prestige classes? What if a necromancer is simply a specialization aka "list of feats" that includes feats like Animate Dead, Raise Ghoul, and Skeleton Army? There would probably be feats in that specialization that more resemble class features too, but it seems easier to design a spell as a feat when they are pretty much the same thing, and easier to design a prestige class or paragon path as a list of feats than creating a full blown class description. Since spellcasters get fewer feats, you could make their feats more powerful and requiring harder prerequisites (must be able to cast 7th level spells, etc).

Not sure I care for it...but it seems the direction we are going, with fewer types of design elements, and getting more out of them to get to the same place, for instance, no prestige classes or themes (not really) or paragon paths, just a background, class, and feats to make your necromancer, arcane archer or Knight of the Great Kingdom. And it might be fine or even great.

But to take it a step further, perhaps this is the type of treatment we can expect even for the sorcerer and warlock. Using wizard traditions and multilevel feats might work well for modeling some of their spells and abilities like eldritch blast that are at will, and if they design such things as feats instead of class abilities, it makes it easy to build new classes from them. Furthermore, and this is certainly blasphemy to some, collapsing the rogue and ranger into one class might be feasible, since they are both basically lists of class abilities that could be feats.

I'm speculating a lot of course, and I really don't mean to sound like an alarmist. But it seems we're heading in a direction that might seem elegant from a design standpoint, and cheaper to produce since a list of feats takes less room than a class description (especially when some feats will be used by multiple specializations), but may actually be less than satisfying for those who want entirely different mechanics for their favorite class, or even heresy to those who want more of a traditional class system with a different class for each archetype.

It will be interesting to see what they do with prestige class archetypes and the "rare" classes like warlocks, etc. It might be awesome, but even if it is, I suspect some will hate it.

the Jester

Legend
I am aware that I am looking at this from a particular point of view, with a big dose of speculation, so bear with me.

Feats seem to have evolved, or devolved depending on your opinion, into spells.

Like a spell, feats:

Are small packages of rules that supersede other RAW.
Have levels, with higher level spells being more powerful.
Sometimes require material components or equipment.

Feats have always met all three of these criteria (although they rarely had explicit "Be level x" prerequisites, requiring a BAB +6 and three prerequisite feats amounted to the same thing). Material components or equipment? Try Ritual Caster in 4e!

Unlike spells, feats:

Are usually not magical in nature.
Sometimes have prerequisites in addition to being of a certain level.
Are usually always active or usable at will.
Do not need to be prepared or selected...it isn't a Vancian system, not completely anyway.

Actually, not all feats are/have been always active/at will; look at the current playtest packet's version of Maximize Spell, for instance, or any of the divine feats from 3e (which are powered by turn/rebuke attempts... which are limited in number).

And they do need to be selected, just not on a daily basis.

In addition:
Spellcasters don't get as many feats as non spellcasters, making feats fit the design space of spells for non-magical classes.

But even with the differences, the lines are often blurred...notice the liberal use of words like "sometimes" and "usually" above..so even the differences aren't always true. Feats are becoming very much like a variant spell system. Just as powers like powers gobbled up and ate feats in 4e, feats are taking over the design space of powers in Next.

Dude, I... what? This isn't even accurate, as far as I can tell. There are plenty of feats in 4e- way, way too many, IMHO. The design space for powers and feats were distinctly different in 4e, though powers ate up some of 3e's feats' design space.

But to take it a step further, perhaps this is the type of treatment we can expect even for the sorcerer and warlock. Using wizard traditions and multilevel feats might work well for modeling some of their spells and abilities like eldritch blast that are at will, and if they design such things as feats instead of class abilities, it makes it easy to build new classes from them. Furthermore, and this is certainly blasphemy to some, collapsing the rogue and ranger into one class might be feasible, since they are both basically lists of class abilities that could be feats.

I'm speculating a lot of course, and I really don't mean to sound like an alarmist. But it seems we're heading in a direction that might seem elegant from a design standpoint, and cheaper to produce since a list of feats takes less room than a class description (especially when some feats will be used by multiple specializations), but may actually be less than satisfying for those who want entirely different mechanics for their favorite class, or even heresy to those who want more of a traditional class system with a different class for each archetype.

Yeah, I'm going with "alarmist" here. We haven't even seen the new beefed-up feats, and I think it's fair to say that rolling a bunch of popular and exotic classes into feat builds is NOT going to help unite the base (which, as we have been told over and over again, is a large part of the goal of 5e). So I would be quite surprised, shocked even, to see that happen.

Regardless, the earlier packets had more powerful feats than the current iteration, and they didn't seem to take over class design space. I like the idea of a Necromancer specialty (for instance), which allows 1. A wizard to be more necromancery; or 2. A non-wizard to flavor him- or herself as a necromantic dabbler. I don't see that as replacing spells at all.

Heck, I'm not even happy with rolling the warlord into the fighter and the assassin into the rogue!

It will be interesting to see what they do with prestige class archetypes and the "rare" classes like warlocks, etc. It might be awesome, but even if it is, I suspect some will hate it.

I'm just not seeing any cause for alarm at all here. I think feats will remain as distinct from spells as they were in late 3e, with some granting spells or magical powers (see 3e's reserve feats) just like some grant non-magical abilities that are ordinarily exceptionally difficult or impossible.

My prediction: Pretty much all PH1 classes remain classes, with one or two possible exceptions (e.g. warlord, assassin).

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Feats have always met all three of these criteria (although they rarely had explicit "Be level x" prerequisites, requiring a BAB +6 and three prerequisite feats amounted to the same thing). Material components or equipment? Try Ritual Caster in 4e!
I actually feel like feats have always been like spells in 3e and 4e, in that they fill the same design space. In Next, the revelation that non-spellcasters get more make them fill that space even more IMO.

Actually, not all feats are/have been always active/at will; look at the current playtest packet's version of Maximize Spell, for instance, or any of the divine feats from 3e (which are powered by turn/rebuke attempts... which are limited in number).

And they do need to be selected, just not on a daily basis.
Again, no disagreement here. I'm not saying the feats in Next are really that new, only that the trend seems to be that in Next they are swallowing up a lot of things from earlier playtest packages like maneuvers, and from earlier editions, like themes, paragon paths and prestige classes.

Dude, I... what? This isn't even accurate, as far as I can tell. There are plenty of feats in 4e- way, way too many, IMHO. The design space for powers and feats were distinctly different in 4e, though powers ate up some of 3e's feats' design space.

And feats from Next are taking it back, is all I'm saying. I couldn't agree more about 4e feats, so I'm not sure what we are disagreeing about; I suspect I am just not clearly communicating my thoughts.

Yeah, I'm going with "alarmist" here. We haven't even seen the new beefed-up feats, and I think it's fair to say that rolling a bunch of popular and exotic classes into feat builds is NOT going to help unite the base (which, as we have been told over and over again, is a large part of the goal of 5e). So I would be quite surprised, shocked even, to see that happen.

Regardless, the earlier packets had more powerful feats than the current iteration, and they didn't seem to take over class design space. I like the idea of a Necromancer specialty (for instance), which allows 1. A wizard to be more necromancery; or 2. A non-wizard to flavor him- or herself as a necromantic dabbler. I don't see that as replacing spells at all.

Heck, I'm not even happy with rolling the warlord into the fighter and the assassin into the rogue!

I'm just not seeing any cause for alarm at all here. I think feats will remain as distinct from spells as they were in late 3e, with some granting spells or magical powers (see 3e's reserve feats) just like some grant non-magical abilities that are ordinarily exceptionally difficult or impossible.

My prediction: Pretty much all PH1 classes remain classes, with one or two possible exceptions (e.g. warlord, assassin).

Fair enough, I'm speculating, so my predictions may be completely wrong, and that would be ok. And I agree that most players would not be happy about their favorite classes getting rolled into each other. At some point it no longer continues to be a class system.

jrowland

First Post
these "types" of concerns crop up on MMO forums too (see terms like whack-a-mole). Its a form reductionism. Its great way to classify and organize and as humans, we're great at it. But whats happens is someone doesn't like the classification terminology, the hierarchy, or perhaps fails to see the functional aspects of such, and on, and on...

Of course Feats are "like spells". Class features are "like spells", skills are "like spells", an so on. We can always reduce a functional definition to make such comparisons. In this case, "any mechanical system that produces in-game effects" are similar.

What we have is a multiple ways to produce in-game effects, and each of those ways has a different granularity and a different "scope". Spells are powerful and few, feats are weaker and many would be granularity whereas "scope" might be spells are magical effects and feats are mundane effects.

You could play to this distinction or not. Seems Mearls column is hinting that they are. Maybe Its a good thing feats become more mundane, fighter comabt things. Maybe we need a new category: Talents, Knacks, etc for ways to customize spells and skills.
You might decide then to have:

Melee Types - Maneuvers - modified by Feats
Spellcaster - Spells - modified by Talents
Rogue - Skills - modified by Knacks

Each class then has access at different rates: Barbarians, eg, would never get talents without multiclassing, but a Paladin might get Talents a decent rates, but noting like the number of Talents a wizard gets.

I think we need to wait and see. I doubt it will be anything like I outlined, but I think if you squint hard enough, it might look sort of like it.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well for starters "Warlock/sorcerer is a wizard with this one speciffic feat chain" is a big no sell for me (and I guess for many other sorcerer and warlock players out there), but it isn't just gut reaction here, it has a lot of big problems associated:

• Warlocks and sorcerers are more apealing to new players and veteran players who like simplicity and ease of play and character creation. Having them being reverse engineered from the inherently more complex wizard defeats that purpose and reduces the appeal they could have to their players, also remember they said feats weren't going to be class speciffic.
  • It sets them as too similar to each other, if one problem striked 3.5 warlocks and 4e sorcerers was the limited options to get tematically diverse characters. A set deal of feats would force us to have exactly one flavor of each one, or force the feats to be extremely complex and open ended (again another strike versus simplicity)
  • It goes against the classes story, making them extremely rigid when their stories are actually more flexible than wizard's. All a warlock has to somehow shoehorn on his/her story is "me or someone else on my behalf made a deal in exchange for power, typically but not always involving giving away my soul" and the sorcerer's is even more flexible "my tenth degree cousin five times removed was a dragon/outsider/thing" or "I was born under a blue moon/on a unknowingly relevant cosmic place/ blessed by luck". meanwhile wizard's story is always "I had to spend time studying the thing"
  • It risks warlocks and sorcerers being way more weaker than a run of the mill wizard, since score increases also will come from the feat system, not only all sorcerers and warlock will have the exact same feat chain, all of them will be shut down from improving their save DCs and overal competency, a fact made the more egreggious because they have always been MAD (Warlocks a little less so), so that goes against the principles of the new feat implementation (more mad = more feats). Just having a different number of relevant scores means they should have a different feat progression.
  • In fact the past argument applies for many classes (in additon to what a fighter needs, a ranger needs Wis, a Paladin Cha, The barbarian needs less in comparison), and let's not get started on bards.
  • Even if it was a more open ended group of feats, that wouldn't make things any better, a player would have to worry about keeping base competence on the so called class and be forced to find and take the necessary feat taxes to remain a valid sorcerer or warlock. The most likely result is the player would just give up and try to convince the group back into 3.x, 4e, PF or move into any of the inevitable 4e clones.
  • Very similar arguments could be made for players of bards, warlords and the like. Want to have them into your game? well give them the classes they need to play, don't force them to waste customization resources in order to get a very generic member of the class.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
The bigger feats can, and should lead to fewer classes, but not necessarily the familiar base classes. They can take over for prestige classes or paragon paths, and perhaps some of the full classes that were created later in an edition's lifecycle.

This has the potential to greatly simplify the creation of advanced character concepts.

Moreover, if they want to create a tactical module that more closely resembles 4E, it allows that module to come with supporting feats that modify characters to have those kinds of options.

This will, inevitably, open up the Warlord debate again.

I think there are two solid design directions you can go with feats post-3e: you can make feats big and give them out occasionally, or you can keep feats small but give them out frequently.
4e opted for neither, with feats basically modifying class features, synergizing race and class options, and providing small miscellaneous benefits. 4e feats were pretty bland and never really felt like they made nearly as much of an impact as power choice.

Feats are the big way of differentiating your character. If they're big each feat counts and greatly changes how your character plays. If they're small you have more granular customization but it takes more feats to really customize your character.
Only getting three or four feats means they have to stand out. Comparing them to talents in a video game may not be a bad idea. They should be customization features and each one should feel big and impressive.

This is very different than spells. You can change spells each day, you get many more spells than feats, and spells are usable a certain number of times. Feats should ideally be useful every fight if not every round.

FireLance

Legend
You know, sneaking in a collection of 4e-style AEDU powers for the martial classes via the feat system might be one way to revive my interest in 5e and the playtest process.

So, those of you who don't want me involved in helping to shape 5e, you know exactly what you need to shoot down, vociferously and at every opportunity.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
You know, sneaking in a collection of 4e-style AEDU powers for the martial classes via the feat system might be one way to revive my interest in 5e and the playtest process.

So, those of you who don't want me involved in helping to shape 5e, you know exactly what you need to shoot down, vociferously and at every opportunity.

I'm ready if you are. :)

I imagine these feats being a little less AEDU, and a little more Book of Nine Swords, focusing on abilities that refresh each encounter. Primarily, this is because the mechanic doesn't have to hold up an entire system.

Additionally, doing it this way allows for a more concise approach to powers.

Remove ads