D&D 5E Feats at first level (i.e. generalising Theros' idea)

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Not religion but race. Drop the racial stat bumps and let them choose a racially related feat instead. For example an elf might choose between Alert, Observant, and Skulker; a dwarf might choose between Durable and Tough. Humans get the variant human package without the stat bumps and with an extra feat (so two in total).
I worry this will make the races too homogeneous - so several races might be tough, several of them might be alert too.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Makes me think...do we need to make humans more interesting or are folks playing them pretty often anyway?
In the game I’m building humans get 4 features (a normal amount).

All races get 2 skills with a special benefit. Humans choose 1 from the whole list, and have 1 set (Athletics, which includes Endurance).

They also get a feature that puts them above the baseline the system sets for enduring persistent physical exertion like running, and another that allows them to recover from Traumas more easily than other races.

I wonder if D&D humans could also have special endurance, both small scale and travel oriented, and reduce Exhaustion a little easier?

I was thinking recently that there could be 'origin' feats that are feats that can be selected at the first level and represents some inherent quirk of the character. What got me thinking this was looking at the genasi, and realising that 'elementally attuned' might make more sense as a feat one could apply to any race rather than as a full race.

Remove ads