D&D 5E Feats / Multiclassing

SilverBulletKY

First Post
The two appear to be optional rules that the DM can use if so desired. Are you all going to use either or both of these in your campaign? I'm leaning towards using feats but not multiclassing.

Wolfskin

Explorer
I will be using Feats for sure, but in the case of Multiclassing I'm going to ask the player "Why?" and decide on a case-by-case basis. Don't mean to sound pedantic, but I like multiclassing as a rule for character development, not character optimization.

The two appear to be optional rules that the DM can use if so desired. Are you all going to use either or both of these in your campaign? I'm leaning towards using feats but not multiclassing.
Me too. I like feats, but multiclassing will depend on exactly how it gets implemented. On the one hand, it sounds like 5E multiclassing will have ability prerequisites (AD&D-style), which sounds great! On the other hand, there are few things that destroy my suspension-of-disbelief more than 3E/3.5E-style level-dipping.

I will be using Feats for sure, but in the case of Multiclassing I'm going to ask the player "Why?" and decide on a case-by-case basis. Don't mean to sound pedantic, but I like multiclassing as a rule for character development, not character optimization.
This, a thousand time. I've been playing for 15 years now, and I no longer want anything to do with optimizing.

Cybit

First Post
Feats Yes / Multi-Classing No;

Multiclassing will probably break the game, so the players should have a REALLY good reason as to why to multiclass. Most of the typical multiclass options seem to be covered in sub-classes (the PHB review confirmed the existence of Arcane Trickster and Eldritch Knight at least).

Wormwood

Adventurer

This right here. But I'm planning on taking a long hard look at the feats section before I allow them, for the same reason.

Tormyr

Hero
I have a player who has a rogue/monk. The rogue was an orphan who was taken in by an itinerant monk. He saved her life but sacrificed himself in the process. She found a book of teachings (including fighting styles) and is self teaching how to be a monk. This seemed like an interesting story intro for this. So I decided to allow it.

ChaosDent

Villager
I plan on allowing Feats and Multiclassing only with approval. The general assumption for Feats will probably be yes and the general assumption for Multiclassing will be no.

drjones

Explorer
Both definitely. Though I will probably require some form of outside training to gain a level in a class you do not already have. I don't think dipping will be as much of a problem, especially since most classes don't get their core abilities till 3rd. Just because x rule was a problem in some previous edition does not mean it has to be in this one. In 4e multiclassing was pretty weak tea and I think I only had one player use it.

Remove ads