D&D 5E Feats / Multiclassing

Quickleaf

Legend
except at 3rd, as a sub-class... they can wake up and know how to cast spells.

That's true. Here's what I was thinking...

Consensus among those who had the Alpha Playtest or advance copies of PHB so far seems to be that multiclassing fighter/mage is better (from an optimizing standpoint than Eldritch Knight).

If that is the case then allowing two learning curves makes sense:
Fast learning curve - Eldritch knight at 3rd level (lower magic power)
Slow learning curve - gain a wizard level after 250 days) higher magic power

What this does is allow multiclassing only as either a dramatic event in a character's life over the course of a campaign or perhaps as a build tool for characters starting above 1st level (albeit wih some other restriction). Thus, multi-classing could be seen as just an extension of the Training rules that also requires XP.

Another effective rule would be to require a PC to advance 3 levels in any class they have before multiclassing. This means less "level-dipping" to grab some features from a class without that class becoming part of the character's identity. So, for example, a fighter must gain his fighter subclass at level 3 before he can multiclass as a wizard. IME it was "level-dipping" that most DMs saw as a problem (both in terms of optimizing and making classes meaningless).

Last edited:

ForumFerret

Explorer
I would agree if he was not so good at fighting multiple opponents at once, for a good example of his skill set see the E3 cinematic trailer of Assassins Creed: Revelations

Indeed. I think a Hunter Ranger (Horde-Breaker) / Rogue (Assassin) would be more accurate, taking the Martial Adept feat so you can do fancy disarms and the like. You might even possibly want to consult the DMG and work with your DM to use the rumored Subclass sharing module to put Horde Breaker into a rogue subclass.

In any case, an Urban Ranger/Rogue certainly looks like a lot of fun now that you've put the idea in my head, so I'll certainly play with the options once Morningstar is out :) I mean, if I'm looking at this correctly, this build is basically a sentient fireball - Whirlwind Attack lets you make a single attack against everyone in reach, which if they're surprised is auto-crit with maximized sneak attack dice. Ranger 11 / Rogue 9 means

2d8 (rapier) + 36 (6d6 Sneak Attack (doubled from 3d6 due to critical), maximized due to Assassinate feature) + 5 (Dex Mod) against everyone you can touch. That's not too shabby if you can get into the middle of a crowd of enemies and then Cunning Action your way back out of the pack.

Last edited:

Remove ads