D&D 5E Feats / Multiclassing

CM

Adventurer
I wouldn't even think of restricting either, and probably wouldn't be interested in playing in a game where they were.

Pickles JG

First Post
Not trolling, just a big believer in character optimization, it is not a bad word to everyone, some of us enjoy it a lot.
How as a DM could I refuse my players of the joy of optimizing character builds when I like it so much? In 3e I ran characters that level dipped in up to 5 or 6 classes including prestige classes, best way to get great saves and some of the classes have the better abilities in the first few levels. I would plot out my characters development over 20 levels before I sat down to play the first game most times, feats and multi-class levels were the biggest part of that process.

I am not a super optimiser but I like to try make my character's my own which involves some tinkering. , possiibly more than is readily available in 5e without MC (& certainly without feats).

Ideally the mechanical aspects wiill inspire RP stuff or the otherway round as I really only enjoy characters that are strong in both of these aspects. (Mechanically interesting to play & a strong interesitng enough identity to RP).

So yes to both when I DM & when I play since I play with kindred spirits.

I hope my first GM allows muti-classing...

as my first character is going to be inspired by Ezio Auditore.... the only way I think I can give it justice would be Nobel - Fighter/Rogue
"Nobel" refers to Alfred Nobel, the inventor of dynamite, and the famous Swedish/Norwegian academic prizes named after him. The word you want is "noble", as in "nobleman". [/grammarnazi]

I don't think the fighter class is necessary for Ezio; you should consider the assassin subclass of rogue, as well as the Martial Adept feat.

I think a lot of these cases could be handled by backgrounds (assuming this happened at character creation). For example, I'd see this character as a monk with the criminal background.
I agree.

Not trolling, just a big believer in character optimization, it is not a bad word to everyone, some of us enjoy it a lot.
How as a DM could I refuse my players of the joy of optimizing character builds when I like it so much? In 3e I ran characters that level dipped in up to 5 or 6 classes including prestige classes, best way to get great saves and some of the classes have the better abilities in the first few levels. I would plot out my characters development over 20 levels before I sat down to play the first game most times, feats and multi-class levels were the biggest part of that process.
Well, there's no wrong way to play D&D, but that sounds awful. However, I wish you the best.

Paraxis

Explorer
Well, there's no wrong way to play D&D, but that sounds awful. However, I wish you the best.

Glad to know it is not wrong, just awful, makes me so happy to get your opinion on the matter.

I find people who choose to wear leather armor over studded leather, who don't put their highest ability score in the primary one for their class, who choose to use a weapon for "roleplay" reasons not mechanical ones, awful.

Some people think the roleplaying part is more important than the game part of roleplaying game, I think both are equal. You can roleplay all you want at the table, and optimize all you want away from the table. It is not an either/or thing.

And yes, all that level dipping and optimization is justified in the context of the story or at least there is a thin veil of appeasement to the story for my characters.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Nobel" refers to Alfred Nobel, the inventor of dynamite, and the famous Swedish/Norwegian academic prizes named after him. The word you want is "noble", as in "nobleman". [/grammarnazi]

Noble/Nobel is a simple typing error or perhaps a spelling mistake. It is not an error of syntax, morphology, semantics, phonology or of anything about which a self-respecting grammarnazi should care.

Claim to be a spellingnazi if you must, but please do not denigrate grammarnazidom with innocent mistakes.

sidonunspa

First Post
I don't think the fighter class is necessary for Ezio; you should consider the assassin subclass of rogue, as well as the Martial Adept feat.

I would agree if he was not so good at fighting multiple opponents at once, for a good example of his skill set see the E3 cinematic trailer of Assassins Creed: Revelations

sidonunspa

First Post
Noble/Nobel is a simple typing error or perhaps a spelling mistake. It is not an error of syntax, morphology, semantics, phonology or of anything about which a self-respecting grammarnazi should care.

Claim to be a spellingnazi if you must, but please do not denigrate grammarnazidom with innocent mistakes.

it was a typo :/

Saplatt

Explorer
Feats: yes.

Multiclassing: No, at least not until characters have at least 10 levels in starting class. Then I might reconsider.

Remove ads