• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E FGG/Necromancer Games teases 5th Edition Foes

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The DM's Basic Guide and the Hoard supplement now show how Wizards would format the spell-casting powers of the ghola:

Innate Spellcasting: The Aaztar-ghola's innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 14). The aaztar-ghola can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

2/day-inflict wounds (range 50 ft)
1/day-dispel magic, finger of death, fly, invisibility

###

Innate Spellcasting is pretty interesting - spells are cast using the minimum slot required; cantrips use the CR of the monster for their effects. And the monster's description can further change the elements of the spells!

(see Yuan-Ti Malison and Yuan-Ti Pureblood in the Hoard of the Dragon Queen monster supplement).

Cheers!

arjomanes

Explorer
The DM's Basic Guide and the Hoard supplement now show how Wizards would format the spell-casting powers of the ghola

I'm not sure how closely FGG can mirror the language and format used for monsters. They are operating under the OGL and under general laws for rules materials, not the new license, whatever that will be. As a result, there may be specific terminology and formatting they can't use.

Of course, INAL, but I'm sure Necromancer has legal counsel they can refer to. I just wouldn't be surprised to see somewhat different terminology and formatting in the end, not because they don't know what they're doing, but because they want to be careful to not run afoul of Wizards' rights.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Absolutely. I'm pretty sure NG can't just use Wizards' format (unless Wizards are very nice about it). However, it does display how Wizards are handling the issue. Innate Spellcasting is something we didn't know about before, and it is the mechanic that makes the ghola work.

That said, Innate Spellcasting's format is very, very similar to the format of the ability in 3E...

e.g.
Glabrezu
Spell-Like Abilities
At will—chaos hammer (DC 19), confusion (DC 19), dispel magic, mirror image, reverse gravity (DC 22), greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), unholy blight (DC 19); 1/day—power word stun. Caster level 14th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Cheers!

arjomanes

Explorer
Oh I agree, and I think it's really useful to see these monsters. My assumption was that Steve Winter had access to the D&D monsters for some time for HotDQ, but it could be that he had to create encounters without seeing the final monster stat blocks.

Nebulous

Legend
I want this NOW. After following some other threads and the general "vanilla" approach the official 5e monsters are taking, i really want some that fire up the imagination. I think this supplement will be what i'm looking for.

Charles Wright

First Post
Thank you, Nebulous!

Spread the word far and wide! The more people who hop on board, the more content we will be able to bring you as adding monsters (as well as adventures) is built into our stretch goals. :D

CrashFiend82

Explorer
I really love the monster and the fluff, love the old school creatures. That being the case I did want to ask about the art. I do realize that the art is also very old school in theme. Howverr as I DM with younger players preteen who love to see and get excited by the flashier art of newer bestiaries, is the included what will be the norm? I will still strongly consider the purchase as the monster sounds really interesting, love the description I struggle to "love" the art. I am not saying the art shouldn't feel old school and dark it would be nice to have some in action, in the kitchen with ghouls maybe. I am new to necromancer products and this may not fit but I love what I see so thought I would the great coments thus far.

Charles Wright

First Post
While there are some small action scenes, most of the art is focused on presenting the creature. A visual description, if you will.

Actions scene art is what we tend to reserve for adventure modules.

CrashFiend82

Explorer
Sorry didn't I meant will the are represent more static 2d portraits or more like the newer dynamic actiony 3d style visualization. Will the book and art be BW or more color images?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads