D&D 5E Fifth Age: A hard science fiction 5e conversion

Capn Charlie

Explorer
It looks pretty good. My formatting was all done in microsoft word, so it was spaced and laid out accordingly, but this definitely looks good.

This should be the last revision of the core document for some time, I left the table of contents blank intentionally, since I didn't know how pagecount would turn out in homebrewery.

I am working to finish out the Hazard Handbook now, and after that I think I will do a sample adventure before moving on to a rework of the spaceship rules, which have languished for far too long.

1993Chimpy

First Post
Just wanted to let you know I love this conversion. I wanted to start a scifi themed campaign and this is perfect! I check frequently for updates. Everyone has loved my campaign so far based off of your conversion. Keep up the good work.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
Just wanted to let you know I love this conversion. I wanted to start a scifi themed campaign and this is perfect! I check frequently for updates. Everyone has loved my campaign so far based off of your conversion. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, glad you like it! If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, let me know, feedback is very important to me in the process of ongoing devlopment!

To that end, I am currently playing with a feat that allows for multiple archetype abilities from the same class.

Cross-Specialization Training
Prerequisite: 4 levels in a single class
You have spent your time focusing on skill sets outside of your normal specialization. Choose a class that you have at least 4 levels in, you gain the benefits of a 4th level specialization ability of that class which you have not already chosen to gain, either by leveling, or taking this feat.

It might be too good, I am considering increasing it to require at least character level 7, so you have to (in theory) have the second tier of specialization bonus to gain another first tier one. This definitely pushes past the limits of what I have wanted feats to do but this is a capability I really like the idea of.

I have been considering a line of feats with a level 10 requirement, intended to fill a similar role as Boons from normal 5e, perhaps this is a good place for that?

Capn Charlie

Explorer
Okay, so I swear I was working on the HH, but I ended up making one more pass at the core book, gonna call it same version revised, and move on. I had to clarify some damage types, and rolled out bookmarks, and a few other bits and pieces.

View attachment Fifth Age (0.5r).pdf

Version: 0.5r

Notes
• Bookmarks added for (hopefully) easier navigation
• Gloemn technicians should be less bouncy now that Prodigious leap is limited to once per round.
• Soldiers may now specialize as Mobile Infantry, taking advantage of the new armor mods system
• Technician specializations now hand out (hopefully) redundant proficiencies so that technicians can make a more meaningful decision at level 4.
• Robomancers reworked slightly to be in line with clarified robot rules
• Officers now less snooty, able to take the Sergeant specialization, allowing them to lead from the front.
• Savages can now owe humans a life debt, allowing them to take the Oathsworn specialization
• Bounty hunters now deal additional sneak attack dice with their Always Get my Man feature.
• Savage Warriors can now target a similar number of creatures with ranged or melee attacks.
• Feats can now be gained and used by the core rules.
• Many feats have fewer or no prerequisites
• Heavy Munitions utility expanded
• Martial Artists may now specialize further with the Judo and Kung Fu feats.
• The covering fire feat now states in particular that it can be used for ranged flanking.
• Mass Drivers reduced in cost and expanded in effect to make them more competitive with other military weapons.
• Damage types clarified with additional effects. Lasers are scary, and why would anyone fire a gun inside a tin can?
• Radcleanse now deals with updated radiation damage
• Tool kits clarified and expanded, medkits now synergize with the medicine skill
• Robot rules tweaked to allow them to be controlled by more characters and using a new CP mechanic for controlling.
• Defensive characters may now equip and benefit from shields.
• Flashbangs have had limiting factors added
• Modifications rules expanded to offer pricing models and many expanded options
• New prototype items have been catalogued

1993Chimpy

First Post
I like this idea. Is this essentially saying that at level 4 you can take a 4th level class specialization benefit ( such as the Bounty Hunter's Ruthless or the Marine's improved critical) from a class of your choosing?

Capn Charlie

Explorer
I like this idea. Is this essentially saying that at level 4 you can take a 4th level class specialization benefit ( such as the Bounty Hunter's Ruthless or the Marine's improved critical) from a class of your choosing?

No, what it would mean is that if you are at least level 4 in a class, you could take a different level 4 class specialization from that same class. Basically, being a marine/heavy gunner, or a scoundrel/bounty hunter. I guess I need another pass on clarity of wording in the feat. I get tied down with technical wording sometimes in stuff like this, and that feat twists and turns a bit.

1993Chimpy

First Post
No, what it would mean is that if you are at least level 4 in a class, you could take a different level 4 class specialization from that same class. Basically, being a marine/heavy gunner, or a scoundrel/bounty hunter. I guess I need another pass on clarity of wording in the feat. I get tied down with technical wording sometimes in stuff like this, and that feat twists and turns a bit.

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, the wording can definitely be difficult. That is probably one of the hardest parts of making this book I am sure lol. In that case, I, personally, would stick with the requirement being level 4 instead of 7. Since 10 is the max level, I think giving a player the chance to take this feat at level 4 is fair. If somebody home brewed the level cap to be 20, the having a higher level prerequisite would likely be a good idea. That is just my thought on it though. It wold give players a chance to vary their skills a bit and have more fun in different situations or in different ways.

vadenveil

Villager
So something about current ship combat, I'm assuming a weapons check that's described would be say computer use + proficiency or +/- the crew modifier from the ship, as would the counter roll be navigation + proficiency or +/- the crew modifier from the ship?

vadenveil

Villager
Also I get the feeling you were going for something akin to a 1 for 1 between the 6 ship systems and the 6 attributes, would a good simplifier be to treat a ship as a plAyer with each system using said stats? Say for npcs.

Remove ads