D&D 5E Fighter Core Archetype Satisfaction Survey

What PHB Fighter archetypes have you played and did you like them?

• I've played the Champion and was satisfied with it.

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • I've played the Champion and was not satisfied with it.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I've played the Battle Master and was satisfied with it.

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • I've played the Battle Master and was not satisfied with it.

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • I've played the Eldritch Knight and was satisfied with it.

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • I've played the Eldritch Knight and was not satisfied with it.

Votes: 8 11.4%

Very satisfied with the Battle Master. Fairly satisfied with the Eldritch Knight. Not so much the Champion, but the concept of that subclass is not my cup of tea, so whatever.

hejtmane

Explorer
I’ve played all three and have been satisfied with all three. Really liked the champion and battlemaster, but my MEHish for the EK is more due to my meh of casters anyway.

I tried all three hate the champion with a passion maybe if they moved some skills around the 10th level option is blah and BM get a 1d10 on Superior dice and the CM get additional fighting style should have been swapped and Superior Critical at 10th.

The EK was a way better than I expected with shield, and absorb elements

So far the only non-Unearthed Arcana fighter archetype I have been unsatisfied with has been the Purple Dragon Knight/Banneret. I am currently playing one and while I love the idea conceptually, in practice I really feel like the abilities of the archetype are backwards. The defining feature you don't get until way too high a level for most campaigns and the group healing is not powerful enough to make up for it, especially given the ambiguous ruling on if Battle Cry can work on a player that is at 0 hp to get them up in a "healing word-esque fashion". RAW seems to indicate that it doesn't, but it feels quite unsatisfying if the DM rules it that way, as otherwise the healing is quite paltry, even at level 3.

Yeah, I'm definitely unsatisfied with the PDK, and unlike the Champion the concept was something I was very interested in. At the very least the Lv. 3 and 10 features needed to be flipped around.

I'm not feeling any of the Xanathar's Fighter archetypes, either, based on what we know so far.

Last edited:

SmokingSkull

First Post
I played a Champion for the longest time, since it was the Warrior during the playtest. After playing it for so long I tried a different subclass, unfortunately though it was neither of the ones listed here because honestly I don't like any of them. I disliked the Champion the least so that's why I played one, then when the Monster Hunter was first released I fell in love. It's not quite like a Battlemaster but it's a variation of one, reason I don't like the BM is because once you've taken your favorite maneuvers all the extra ones seem...less exciting? Not to mention the ribbons don't inspire me, as for EK I cannot comment for I've never played one but in all honesty I'm not that big a fan of magic to begin with.

After playing a Monster Hunter I can't go back to Champion, it just...feels so good to play. It's just the right amount of passive and active, and the ribbons! It is quite front loaded I'll admit but that's minor compared to how it actually plays.

Hussar

Legend
So with a bit over 100 votes, a good solid third to a quarter were unhappy with the archetype.

Again, I wonder how that compares to other classes.

Remove ads