• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Fighter (Playtest 7)

fighting with fists vs swords is not mechanically effective.
brawler got a damage with fist as big as a quarterstaff. thats very generous.

unarmed strike should be a feat, not a subclass theme.
This is all nonsensical. If a Monk can do 1d10 or more brawling damage, so can a Fighter, frankly. And it's fine to design a subclass around it - but don't design them so they suck! That's just a waste of page count and everyone's time.

That's just idiocy.

Stalker0

Legend
No.

They have a huge thing for the concept of Tavern Brawlers, but they are utterly opposed to making them mechanically effective.

The subclass is not good.
To be fair, I only think the level 3 ability isn't that great, as its just granting them an ability to try an keep up with a weaponed fighter (which it fails out because you can't use a shield). THe problem is there is nothing here that gives me something a weaponed fighter can't do. I don't get some unique weapon mastery, or do extra damage, or xyz. I am just getting what a weaponed fighter already gets, except now they actually get something with their subclass.

But the higher level bonuses look pretty solid..... though the other subclasses do get some sweet stuff. I mean the champion literally has advantage on a roll every round of combat...

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I am unsure if this is a joke, but certainly Crawford seems to believe this. That chucking a non-magical chair for half damage at some non-magic-weapon resistant devil is a totally awesome and valid ability, or that we actually want to track V/S/M in detail and so on.
There is no nonmagical weapon resistant devil.

Crawford is siccing 1-5 HD orcs and goblins at you at level 12+.

But the higher level bonuses look pretty solid..... though the other subclasses do get some sweet stuff. I mean the champion literally has advantage on a roll every round of combat...
That's the thing - the subclass has to be compared to other subclasses - and it doesn't remotely stack up. They do get perma-advantage at level 10 - but only if they're using non-magical weapons, effectively, so like, what's even the point because at that level, you're eating resistances and you pretty much need to be using +X weapons or flaming weapons or the like to keep up damage-wise.

And you can't even have Great Weapon Mastery or the, so you're still going to be doing joke damage.

Horwath

Legend
This is all nonsensical. If a Monk can do 1d10 or more brawling damage, so can a Fighter, frankly. And it's fine to design a subclass around it - but don't design them so they suck! That's just a waste of page count and everyone's time.

That's just idiocy.
but monk is represented as some mystical warrior that has trained all his life.

Brawler is a drunk fat biker that knows how to throw a punch.

Stalker0

Legend
LOL

Damage Resistances Cold; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from Nonmagical Attacks that aren't Silvered

That took less than 30 seconds to find.
It has been repeatedly suggested in the playtest videos that they are getting rid of that mechanic. This is why things like the monk are now doing "psychic damage" rather than ignoring that restriction.

Of course....does that mean that fighters just always do half damage now against certain creatures?

It has been repeatedly suggested in the playtest videos that they are getting rid of that mechanic.
Has it?!?!?! When?

I mean, good if so, but they certainly have it in Mordenkainen which is supposed to show off the new design:

Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from Nonmagical Attacks

For example.

Wait is that "they are getting rid of it" or "they aren't getting rid of it"?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
LOL

Damage Resistances Cold; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from Nonmagical Attacks that aren't Silvered

That took less than 30 seconds to find.
I mean they don't use them often.

I highly suspect members of the design teams run adventuring days with encounter up to twice your level but with weaker monsters.

Therefore your level 11 brawler fighter likely dealt with 6-8 encounters of orcs, goblins, and other humanoids in their 10-25 encounters that day.

This makes your 3 1d6 chair attacks significant.

And they likely rule that improvised attacks with magical items are magic weapon attacks.

Remove ads