D&D (2024) Fighters if superiority dice was something all fighters get

Now if we brought back avengers I might be interested. :)
Yeah thumbs up to this.

People in 4E LOVED that class. I've had people join 5E from 4E and they're really confused that it didn't make the transition and there's this weird Paladin pretending to be an avenger like bad cosplay ("we have avengers at home"). It combined like cool/badass magic without being a "spellcaster", and chopping people up with a 2h weapon whilst wearing light armour. It appealed to like a whole broad swathe of players from quite traditional types who had sort of "Severian with more magic" as their mental archetype, to people who quite clearly saw it as an "anime Fighter".

But those people wouldn't be interested in playing D&D if you made them play that. Because they don't want vanilla. They want strawberry chocolate fudge.
yeah... I would just stop TTRPGs if my only choice was fighters
I have no doubt that we'd see fewer Paladins and Barbarians and more Fighters if they were distinctly 4E-style. Warlords, not so sure, I never actually saw one played for more than a couple of sessions in 4E.

That said 5E is also missing a properly-designed "Swordmage"-type class
I still would do anything for a 4e fighter, a swordmage AND a Warlord

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yeah thumbs up to this.

People in 4E LOVED that class. I've had people join 5E from 4E and they're really confused that it didn't make the transition and there's this weird Paladin pretending to be an avenger like bad cosplay ("we have avengers at home"). It combined like cool/badass magic without being a "spellcaster", and chopping people up with a 2h weapon whilst wearing light armour. It appealed to like a whole broad swathe of players from quite traditional types who had sort of "Severian with more magic" as their mental archetype, to people who quite clearly saw it as an "anime Fighter".
Yea, avenger and warden are the two best 4e classes that they tried to shove into the "paladin" box and totally missed what made them badass.

Oofta

Legend
Yeah thumbs up to this.

Yeah, I'm playing a vengeance paladin right now. Fun for RP aspect reasons, but not the same.

Quickleaf

Legend
same...

You know who i find DOES play champion fighters... 30-40 year old players (who all brought beer to game... I don't know that matters but it is a thing) who played pre 4e and want 'simple fighters' or people who are level dipping for increased crit to go with extra attack and action surge (okay that is only 1 time... but he brings beer too...)
<< is 41, does not drink beer (more of a whiskey and red wine in moderation type of gentleman), played every edition since Basic D&D, disdains level dipping, and enjoys a "simple fighter."

<< is 41, does not drink beer (more of a whiskey and red wine in moderation type of gentleman), played every edition since Basic D&D, disdains level dipping, and enjoys a "simple fighter."
beer joke aside (I think it is just a funny coincidence) but you fit exactly... people who want 'simple fighters' are a subset of older players not newer (not that no new player will... but in general)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
You know who i find DOES play champion fighters... 30-40 year old players (who all brought beer to game... I don't know that matters but it is a thing) who played pre 4e and want 'simple fighters' or people who are level dipping for increased crit to go with extra attack and action surge (okay that is only 1 time... but he brings beer too...)

beer joke aside (I think it is just a funny coincidence) but you fit exactly... people who want 'simple fighters' are a subset of older players not newer (not that no new player will... but in general)
I think the age is more 40+ for that good chunk of the simple fighter fans who aren't just playing it because they are too tipsy to run anything else. :p

The main factor of similarity of a lot of the simple fighter (and simple mage) lovers is having an experienced (and above average) DM/GM who have fairly and skillful adjudicate combat actions which match the expectations of the players in the group. Older groups. Long term groups. Veteran D&D groups. Friend, club, or hobby circles.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
No dice, or consumable resources.

More situationally dependent abilities (e.g. Shove, or Rogue Sneak Attack), and risk/reward abilities (e.g. Barbarian's Reckless Attack).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Any other thoughts on such a approach?
Yes... see here:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
No dice, or consumable resources.

More situationally dependent abilities (e.g. Shove, or Rogue Sneak Attack), and risk/reward abilities (e.g. Barbarian's Reckless Attack).
The dice and consumables should have been a bonus to regular default actions.

1. Crush: Target makes CON save or target is knocked prone. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  2. Disarm: Target makes STR save or target is disarmed. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  3. Distract: Target makes INT save or target is distracted (next attack has advantage). Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage
  4. Envenom: Target makes CON save at disadvantage or target is poisoned. (Must have poisoned weapon) Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  5. Feint: Target makes WIS save or target falls for feint. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  6. Hamstring: Target makes STR save or target's speed is halved until end of their next turn. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  7. Goad: Target makes WIS save or target is marked. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  8. Knock Down: Target makes STR save or target is knocked prone. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  9. Menace: Target makes WIS save or target is frightening until end of your next turn. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  10. Sand: Target makes DEX save or target is blinded until the end of their next turn. (Must have sand, mud, or dirt) Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.
  11. Trip: Target makes DEX save or target is knocked prone. Roll superiority dice to deal weapon damage plus dice damage.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases