Fighting the Gray Tide (Miniature Painting)

Clint_L

Hero
Your Army Painter work looks great! I've been experimenting with Army Painter Speed Paints as well, and was having trouble with the kind of muddy edges between colours. I've had more success with the following technique:

1. Prime in black and then do a super heavy dry brush in white:
D&L Townsfolk4.jpg

2. Now apply the speed paints, so the remaining black emphasizes the borders and edges. Then touch-ups as needed:
D&L Townsolk5.jpg

With that technique I was able to get a ton of villager models from the Dungeon and Lasers Kickstarter 2 done in just a couple evenings.

Richards

Legend
Very nice! They look amazing for a "speed paint" technique.

All of you guys do a wonderful job; I just shake my head in wonder, knowing my eyesight (and, to be honest, my patience) is lacking to allow me to get anywhere close to your levels in expertise. Fortunately, I have an adult son who handles our painting needs.

Johnathan

Clint_L

Hero
Thanks! I do okay but am not in the same league as MGibster, so it's a bit embarrassing to be lumped in with them; they paint like I aspire to paint. I was just sharing a useful technique I worked out for that particular medium.

MGibster

Legend
Thanks! I do okay but am not in the same league as MGibster, so it's a bit embarrassing to be lumped in with them; they paint like I aspire to paint. I was just sharing a useful technique I worked out for that particular medium.
Your slap chop people look better than any of my slap chop people. You're doing great.

MGibster

Legend
Here are the tank treads. I applied a base of medium gray. The the rust, an extremely watered down bright orange, a wash really, then some GW Typhus Corrosion, and followed that up with Vallejo diesel stain. I’m happy and look forward to tweaking this in the future.

949317FB-9FC2-4CE3-947C-7154003F4B46.jpeg

MGibster

Legend
I gave these both a solid cover of AK Interactive streaking grime, let it dry, and removed some using mineral spirits. The grime is enamel based, and the spirits will remove it leaving the acrylic paint intact. Tomorrow I’ll apply pigments for the final weathering and call it good.

65EB201B-BC46-4B65-A459-039FBA327867.jpeg

MGibster

Legend
And we're done with the troop transport. In today's military it's an infantry fighting vehicle in and Warhammer 40k it's called a Chimera. What it really is is a lot of effort on my part for a low point vehicle that will get blown to hell on turn 1 or 2.

Transport_1.JPG
Transport_2.JPG

Remove ads