D&D 5E Finally getting a full size map Faerun

Got a closer look at the map and Algarond is weird not meantioned on the map, although its land is still there.

The map looks fairly different geographically compared to the previous undetailed SCAG map that was the closest thing to a Faerun Map as we had gotten, dispite it being the same artist. This hints that they finalized some choices about Faerun that they'd been kicking down the road previously about the rest of Faerun.

Its a gorgeous map, although the adventure icons are too guady and the bubbles block some important spots like the Shining South like Durpur and Lurien, and Dambrath.

Between this and the weird unexplained gap in 50th year publications and what Ray Winninger said just a couple of years ago, when he was still boss, I think a FR Setting Book is planned even more then I did.

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
This hints that they finalized some choices about Faerun that they'd been kicking down the road previously about the rest of Faerun.
Just the other day I read a guy in Reddit saying that this map seems to have different assumptions than those for the 5e maps published before. He said that for the 5e map of the time, the designers said they were going to follow the 2e maps in stuff like distances and landforms. For instance, for 3.xe the designers shrank Faerun in size by 15-20%, eliminating most of the "dead space" (regions that were just non-adventurable plains, mountains, etc.), something that they undid in the 5e maps in the SCAG. However, he notices that this map is closer to the 3.xe rendition of Faerûn than previous 5e maps.

The example he gives is the positioning of Chult: if Chult is some distance SW of Calimshan, it's a 1e/2e map (a configuration previous 5e maps had followed). If Chult is due west of Calimshan it's a 3.xe/4e map. He also notices other details were previous 5e maps were closer to 2e are now more closer to 3.xe.

On the other hand, I've also noticed the particular design choices they decided for the Old Empires region, that seems to be a compromise between the 3.xe map and the 4e map.

Remove ads