D&D 5E Finally getting a full size map Faerun

Stormonu

Legend
From what little I can see in the video, it isn't a full map. Seems to be missing Halruaa, Dambrath and pretty much everything east of the Sea of Stars. It is a nice map, but not complete.

And $130 USD for the entire product just isn't value enough for me. It looks nice, but I really don't have much interest in the book itself. Of course, others will find value in it, just not me. I still own the boxed sets and their various maps, so those will suffice for me.
I’d keep an eye out on e-bay or the like, good chance someone is going to sell the maps by themselves for a cheaper price. Likewise, down the road - maybe a year or so - we’ll see it sold in another product or separately. GF9 had been allowed to print (on mousepad material?) maps from other books and such, and they might get permission to do this one. And I wouldn't rule out an updated FR campaign set (akin to the Planescape/Spelljammer treatment) somewhere down the road, maybe as an anniversary set (FR is currently 36 years old now)

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
Well, the Atlas also doesn't match the 5e lore, as the geography of the Old Empires is as depicted in this map.
Fair point. If we're taking political boundaries into consideration, almost no maps of the Realms match one another, since the borders of countries regularly change. (Off the top of my head, the borders of Amn, Damara, Mulhorand, Tethyr, Unther, and Vaasa all changed during the middle of various editions, as did the territory held by Hellgate Keep, Zhentil Keep, the orcs of Many-Arrows, and the shield dwarves of the North.)

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I have the map from the fancy Legends & Lore set.

The westernmost thing on it is the isle of Tuern, way out in the Trackless Sea.

Across the northern border are (west to east) Sea of Moving Ice, Reghed Glacier, The High Ice, The Great Glacier, and Peluvia.

Across the eastern border are (north to south) Narfell, Thay, Mulhorand, and The Eastern Shaar.

Across the southern border (west to east): Trackless Sea, Chult (depicted as a peninsula), Serpentes, Halruaa

Pretty much all of the 5E Forgotten Realms adventure sites are located on the map, and locations for the previously non-FR adventures reprinted in Tales from the Yawning Portal and Ghosts of Saltmarsh are also indicated (for example, the Tomb of Horrors is on the eastern border of The High Moor, and Saltmarsh is in Sembia on the Sea of Fallen Stars).

There are also insert bubbles at the four corners depicting Eberron, Krynn, The Radiant Citadel, Spelljammer, and Feywild/Shadowfell.

It's a VERY fun map as a commermorative 5E art piece. It certainly depicts more of FR than any previously published 5E map.

The book, however, is a total hagiography. A coffee table puff-piece commercial which explains why each 5E publication is probably the greatest thing ever and you can't pick your favorite because they are all your favorite. Nothing bad has happened at all since 2013.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's not and that wasn't all of Faerun, it left off much of the South of Faerun, this map looks like it does as well, to a lesser extent, it also loses some of the east, like Thay and Mulhorand perhaps, stopping around Narfell.

So it's incomplete as well,but maybe not by alot, I will need to see a version without other stuff on it.
It looks like it matches the area covered in the original box set.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's a bit bigger to the south - Halruua and (what is now) Serpentes weren't on the Gray Box maps. Chult peeked in at the corner, which made people think for a long time that it was an island and not a peninsula.
Did all of that material even exist in 1987? Really question, not sure how much Greenwood had mapped out beyond the Heartlands.

Did all of that material even exist in 1987? Really question, not sure how much Greenwood had mapped out beyond the Heartlands.
Yes. Halruaa is mentioned in the Gray Box, and there's a big "To Halruaa" with an arrow pointing south off the map. Luiren, Durpar, and Raurin all get similar arrow treatment.

There's a thread on this very forum showing Ed's original FR map that TSR used as the basis of the Gray Box set maps. Other than the Moonshaes being added in, Ed's original is very close to the Gray Box maps, other than what TSR left off from the eastern and southern edges of the published maps (presumably due to size and scale constraints). And, yes, Ed's has the entire southern shore from Chult through Durpar fully detailed like on later maps that did show the region.

EDIT: Ah, found that thread:
https://www.enworld.org/threads/ed-greenwoods-original-forgotten-realms-map.668302/

Interestingly enough, the same "To..." with arrows are there too, meaning that Ed didn't have them originally on the map (but did by the time TSR got it here), or TSR added those on there in anticipation of their versions. I'm thinking the latter, as there doesn't seem to be any discontinuity in design. Or Ed added those regions very early on, shortly after the rest of the map. They definitely don't look to have been added significantly later than the rest.

Last edited:

Across the northern border are (west to east) Sea of Moving Ice, Reghed Glacier, The High Ice, The Great Glacier, and Peluvia.

Across the eastern border are (north to south) Narfell, Thay, Mulhorand, and The Eastern Shaar.

Across the southern border (west to east): Trackless Sea, Chult (depicted as a peninsula), Serpentes, Halruaa

Pretty much all of the 5E Forgotten Realms adventure sites are located on the map, and locations for the previously non-FR adventures reprinted in Tales from the Yawning Portal and Ghosts of Saltmarsh are also indicated (for example, the Tomb of Horrors is on the eastern border of The High Moor, and Saltmarsh is in Sembia on the Sea of Fallen Stars).

There are also insert bubbles at the four corners depicting Eberron, Krynn, The Radiant Citadel, Spelljammer, and Feywild/Shadowfell.

It's a VERY fun map as a commermorative 5E art piece. It certainly depicts more of FR than any previously published 5E map.

The book, however, is a total hagiography. A coffee table puff-piece commercial which explains why each 5E publication is probably the greatest thing ever and you can't pick your favorite because they are all your favorite. Nothing bad has happened at all since 2013.

I looked online, including YouTube and kind of saw the map unfolded.

Some interesting things I notice, with difficulty, the Genasi nation of Akanul still exists, it seemed like it disappeared in the SCAG, because Airspur was part of Chessenta's entery and Akanul did not get mentioned EEPG Genasi or MotM so I was thinking they sent it back to Abeir, but thankfully not as it appears on the map. I liked the Genasi empire.

Mulhorand's back, but region roughly resembles High Imaskar, with those 3 long bays.

Major nations missing from being named on the map are Chondath so that could still be dead like 4e (but Sespech is still there), Nathlan still gone, but 5e never mentions it so who knows, really surprisingly Unther/Tymanther, perhaps because it's contested, although the 4e lakes are still there. The Shining South, Dambrath, Luiren are hidden by annoying Shadowfell/Feywild art, perhaps they are still figuring out what they want to do the region, Mulgohm gets cut off as does the hoardlands.

Pretty much everything else appears to be where one would expect, though the map resembles 4e more then I expected.

Is it just me, but having pictures of Eberron, Krynn, Spelljammer, and Radiant Citadel kind of weird and confusing on the map? What purpose does that survive, it could confuse noobies into thinking those are part of FR, instead of distinct settings in their own right (though this once again confirms Radiant Citadel as a distinct setting).

LIke at least I get Shadowfell/Feywild art bubble (although it'd be cooler to have had the mirrors of Faerun on the flip side of the map instead), although it was way too big, blocking out a cool part of Faerun (again, maybe there is a reason to hide that part of FR).

Also this is another sign a FR setting book is coming, because outside of SCAG crumbs, they spent the last decade trying to forget the realms outside the Swordcoast North & Chult even exist, so it's nice to see them finally remember that the rest of Faerun exists.

Remove ads