D&D 5E Finally getting a full size map Faerun

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
My understanding is that the 5e map is EXTREMELY close to the 2e map, much closer than any other edition is.
I own the Trail map and that's what we use. It includes everything you need.
I purchased a pdf copy of the Forgotten Realms Atlas so I could compare it to the 5e Sword Coast Map for a project I'm working on. If you superimpose the Sword Coast regions of both maps in an image editor, you'll find they're essentially the same map. Those two identical maps are also very similar to the the original Grey Box map, to the Trail Map, and to some online pics I've seen purporting to show Ed Greenwood's hand drawn maps of the Realms. The only real outliers are the 3e maps and 4e maps. (The 5e Tomb of Annihilation map of Chult is also an outlier, since it's a modified version of the 3e map of Chult, making it the only 5e map I've seen that doesn't match the geography in the Forgotten Realms Atlas.)

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
Well, the Atlas also doesn't match the 5e lore, as the geography of the Old Empires is as depicted in this map.

darjr

I crit!
I got a lot of close up photos at Gameholecon.

Click through to the post to see them. I got a full photo of the map.
Saw them at Gameholecon! Great panel. Got some photos too.

I asked Chris Perkins what it was like during the launch, when they sold out of PHB's so fast. He said he knew it was going on, that people were extremely happy and surprised, but he was too busy to really remember much else. Which is essential Chris Perkins!

I didn't know Michael has fiction too!

Yep. In fact, it's closest to the 2e maps from the box set, right down to the gap in the Trade Way south of Dragonspear Castle and the like. (The map from the FR Atlas does not have a gap in the road.)
The road is still there, it just dwindles to more of a glorified path than a fully-maintained road it is on either side of the gap.

I got a lot of close up photos at Gameholecon.

Click through to the post to see them. I got a full photo of the map.
So, it's not a particularly detailed map. Just basically names of countries and not too much else, with icons where adventures take place cluttering things up pretty badly in areas.

On the other hand Halruaa is on the map, despite fears that it wouldn't be.

pukunui

Legend
The road is still there, it just dwindles to more of a glorified path than a fully-maintained road it is on either side of the gap.
That's fine. My point was merely that there is a gap in the road on the 2e gold box map and on the 5e map, whereas the 3e and 4e maps show a full road.

Actually, looking at the maps more, I think the 5e map is probably closest to the 1e map, which lacks any roads connecting Baldur's Gate to the Trade Way via the Fields of the Dead. The 2e map has roads that peter out after a while, while the 3e and 4e maps have a road that goes all the way through and connects with the Trade Way south of Dragonspear Castle.

Anyway, I seem to recall having a discussion about which of the older edition maps Mike Schley based the 5e map on way back when the SCAG first came out - so this isn't exactly news.

zelgadis

Explorer
Not all of us play in the 2e version of the Realms. That map is not useful to me as the Realms has some different geography in 5e.

1e/2e > 3e >5e map comparison:
large.comparativa-mappe_5e_3e_2e_1e.jpg
Hi-Res https://www.dragonslair.it/gallery/image/8872-comparativa-mappe-faerûn-1e2e-3e-5e/?do=download

Last edited:

Jolly Ruby

Privateer
Actually, looking at the maps more, I think the 5e map is probably closest to the 1e map, which lacks any roads connecting Baldur's Gate to the Trade Way via the Fields of the Dead. The 2e map has roads that peter out after a while, while the 3e and 4e maps have a road that goes all the way through and connects with the Trade Way south of Dragonspear Castle.

Anyway, I seem to recall having a discussion about which of the older edition maps Mike Schley based the 5e map on way back when the SCAG first came out - so this isn't exactly news.
Geography-wise it's more 2e Gold Box than 1e, I remember trying to cross fhe maps of Daggerford region between 1e, 2e and 5e and Ardeep Forest and surrounding woods are a bit different in 1st edition, but it have the same shape in 2e and 5e.

Remove ads