D&D 5E Lore & Legends Is An Official Visual Guide to D&D 5th Edition

The sequel to Art & Arcana, this 400+ page book features art and interviews

81Z6wfCB4xL.jpg

Coming in October from the authors of Dungeons and Dragons Art & Arcana: A Visual History is a new illustrated guide--this time to D&D 5th Edition, including artwork, interviews, and more. Lore & Legends is by Michael Witwer, Kyle Newman, Jon Peterson, and Sam Witwer, and is an officially licensed D&D book.

The 400+ page book is scheduled for release on October 3rd.

An illustrated guide to Dungeons & Dragons’ beloved fifth edition told through interviews, artwork, and visual ephemera from the designers, storytellers, and artists who bring it to life.

When the reimagined fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons debuted in the summer of 2014, tabletop roleplaying games were on the brink of obsolescence. But within a few short years, D&D found greater success than it had ever enjoyed before, even surpassing its 1980s golden age. How did an analog game nearly a half century old become a star in a digital world? For the first time, Lore & Legends reveals the incredible ongoing story of Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition from the perspective of the designers, artists, and players who bring it to life. This comprehensive visual guide illuminates contemporary D&D—its development, evolution, cultural relevance, and popularity—through exclusive interviews and more than 900 pieces of artwork, photography, and advertising curated and analyzed by the authors of the bestselling and Hugo Award–nominated Dungeons & Dragons Art & Arcana.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I liked Art & Arcana alot. But this is a retrospective look at an edition we're...still in?
Yeah, it gives me pause as well, but Penguin Random House -- a company that understands monetization -- wants to have a shiny new book on book store displays when the 50th anniversary hype train gets going.

They could either update Art & Arcana, which would be a big ask, as this would balloon the price of that book even higher, or do it as a separate volume. My guess is these two books get merged into a "special edition" with a few extra pages of art in a few years.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It could still be awesome. I wonder if it points to a significant change in art?

It’s also making me feel old, sorta.
Yeah, it gives me pause as well, but Penguin Random House -- a company that understands monetization -- wants to have a shiny new book on book store displays when the 50th anniversary hype train gets going.

They could either update Art & Arcana, which would be a big ask, as this would balloon the price of that book even higher, or do it as a separate volume. My guess is these two books get merged into a "special edition" with a few extra pages of art in a few years.
I think there are two factors:

1.) A&A released in October 2018, primed for the 45th anniversary the next year, so this is for the 50th Anniversary over the next year, as a great gift at bookstores.

2.) A&A had over 700 pieces of artwork and photos covering ~40 years of D&D (there was a little smattering of 5E stuff near the end, but they said in the book that it would require a whole other volume, so they were already thinking this one out). According to Penguin's description, this volume has over 900 pieces of art and photos. Nine hundred. That's a hundred pieces per year covered!

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I really like Art & Arcana, but tbh I'd be much more interested in an unauthorized version of this particular story. I'm concerned this will basically be a pleasant hagiography.

The fact that we're still in 5E doesn't bother me. We're coming up on ten years and it has been a huge and eventful ten years. A retrospective isn't out of order.

darjr

I crit!
I really like Art & Arcana, but tbh I'd be much more interested in an unauthorized version of this particular story. I'm concerned this will basically be a pleasant hagiography.

The fact that we're still in 5E doesn't bother me. We're coming up on ten years and it has been a huge and eventful ten years. A retrospective isn't out of order.
I almost guarantee someone is working on that book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

I trust the writers to not make it dishonest, but they might not get quite the same brutal honesty from current employees, for sure.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads