• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finally reading the trilogy...

SnowleopardVK

First Post
I was lucky enough to stumble across the Icewind Dale trilogy in a used bookstore on my way to work today. All three books were being sold as a set for ten dollars, so I decided to splurge (10 bucks is splurging to me... I'm poor) and buy them.

You hear about Drizzt a lot on the internet. It's neat to finally actually get to read what he came from.

I've just started the crystal shard though, so I'm not far in yet. Pleeeeeeeeeeease don't spoil anything for me. (please?)

Starman

Adventurer
Cool. Despite what's happened to the character since then, I still maintain that the Icewind Dale trilogy is good throwaway fantasy reading.

Herschel

Adventurer
It's a good place to start as it was chronologically written first, although my favorite book in the whole kit & kaboodle was Homeland, the first prequel and Drizzt's birth and boyhood.

Croesus

Adventurer
I still maintain that the Icewind Dale trilogy is good throwaway fantasy reading.

In general, I agree with this. I found the first book to be decent, the next two less interesting. I don't regret reading the trilogy, but it's not something I'll ever re-read.

I always preferred the Doug Niles trilogy that begins with Darkwalker on Moonshae. I define it as a good story that just happens to be set in the Forgotten Realms, rather than a FR book trying to be a good story.

Nebten

First Post
I would recommend reading The Dark Elf triology first, as well. That is actually how you will find out where Drizz't comes from. It is funny after you read The Dark Elf triology then read Icewind Dale triology how different the writing styles are.

And if you are straped for cash, libraries are always free ;)

Starman

Adventurer
In general, I agree with this. I found the first book to be decent, the next two less interesting. I don't regret reading the trilogy, but it's not something I'll ever re-read.

I always preferred the Doug Niles trilogy that begins with Darkwalker on Moonshae. I define it as a good story that just happens to be set in the Forgotten Realms, rather than a FR book trying to be a good story.

I was bored stiff with the Moonshae trilogy and had to force myself to get through them. Between them and one of the Elminster books, I basically gave up on Realms novels.

Welverin

First Post

Which, if I recall correctly, is exactly what it was.

NewJeffCT

First Post

I'd agree with your comments on the Icewind Dale books. I think I ended up reading 10-11 of the books. Decent light reads.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads