D&D 5E Finally

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
lvl 7 prerequ - polymorph as per the spell once a day and uses up a spell slot.

Wait, what? Polymorph is a level 4 spell on the Warlock list, isn't it? Couldn't you already do that at level 7 as many times as you want (as long as you had the spell slots)?

Did they actually take Polymorph off the warlock spell list, require an invocation to get it back, AND put an arbitrary use on how often it can be used? If so, I guess somebody figured out some pretty cheesy uses for polymorph on a short rest recharge, although none come to mind immediately...

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
Light Domain: Bonus Cantrip, Warding Flare (disadvantage to attacker), Channel Divinity: Radiance of the Dawn, Improved Flare, Potent Spellcasting (Wisdom modifier to cantrip damage), Corona of Light.
Are there restrictions on how often the cleric can use Warding Flare?

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Also, since there are now two blade invocations, it seems like it'll keep up a bit better. At level 5 you get Thirsting Blade, which is basically Extra Attack, and at level 14ish you get Blood-drinking Blade (or something like that, it's in this thread somewhere) that lets you add Cha bonus to damage.

So if you've got +4 Str and Cha at level 14 (not unreasonable):

Eldritch Blast (normal): 3d10
Eldritch Blast (with +cha invocation): 3d10+4 or 3d10+12, depending on how you interpret the invocation. (Since you can hit multiple targets, I'm guessing the latter?)

Pact Greatsword: 2d6+4
Pact Greatsword (with both invocations): (2d6+8)x2 (again, assuming you add the Cha to both hits)

So with all invocations, that's 28.5 damage for eldritch blast and 30 damage for the greatsword. Plus you can take Greatweapon Master to up that damage even more.

Mirtek

Hero
Yeah, you'd need a decent Strength (or Dex) too. Just like a cleric or paladin or eldritch knight. You have to be a little MAD to play a gish in 5e. ;)
What for? You can carry enough with 8 Str and a your pact blade rapier uses Dex for attack and damage (+ Char for damage at later level). Con is advisable (especially since you want to be in melee), but I see no problem with a human warlock starting with Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16 and a free feat (e.g. Tough to be even more durable in melee).

Even fits nicely for roleplaying. You're not very wise (low Wis), that's how you ended up stuck in your pact in the first place. You're physically frail (low Str) but you'r pact keeps you surprisingly (for one of your frame) healthy (Con 14).

I imaginge my possible warlock kind of like Jojen Reed. Weak and frail but gifted with "the sight" (and other flashier spells). You will underestimate his weak frame until he suddenly manifests his pact blade out of nothing and carves you up.

Edit: Ah, overlooked the "(or Dex)" part

Last edited:

Brian Michaluk

First Post
Wait, what? Polymorph is a level 4 spell on the Warlock list, isn't it? Couldn't you already do that at level 7 as many times as you want (as long as you had the spell slots)?

Did they actually take Polymorph off the warlock spell list, require an invocation to get it back, AND put an arbitrary use on how often it can be used? If so, I guess somebody figured out some pretty cheesy uses for polymorph on a short rest recharge, although none come to mind immediately...

the warlock spell list is half the size of the wizard list and does not normally include polymorph

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
What for? You can carry enough with 8 Str and a your pact blade rapier uses Dex for attack and damage (twice for damage at later level). Con is advisable (especially since you want to be in melee), but I see no problem with a human warlock starting with Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16 and a free feat (e.g. Tough to be even more durable in melee).

Even fits nicely for roleplaying. You're not very wise (low Wis), that's how you ended up stuck in your pact in the first place. You're physically frail (low Str) but you'r pact keeps you surprisingly (for one of your frame) healthy (Con 14).

I imaginge my possible warlock kind of like Jojen Reed. Weak and frail but gifted with "the sight" (and other flashier spells). You will underestimate his weak frame until he suddenly manifests his pact blade out of nothing and carves you up.

I started another thread for specific attempts at character builds, but I think your idea works quite well mechanically; a greatsword warlock would probably require a level of fighter or barbarian for extra armor anyway, but the description of the pact blade reminded me of Nightmare from Soul Calibur, wielding a demonic shapeshifting blade that consumed his soul, and I couldn't look back. ;)

Brian Michaluk

First Post
I started another thread for specific attempts at character builds, but I think your idea works quite well mechanically; a greatsword warlock would probably require a level of fighter or barbarian for extra armor anyway, but the description of the pact blade reminded me of Nightmare from Soul Calibur, wielding a demonic shapeshifting blade that consumed his soul, and I couldn't look back. ;)

fyi multiclassing you dont get ALL the abilities of your new class just a smattering :D

multiclassing into barbarian for example you only get shields, simple weapons and martial weapons no armors. Fighter you get light and medium armor, shields simple and martial weapons

Have you been (perhaps wisely) holding out on us, Mouse?

*whistles innocently* :angel:

Actually, only sort of. It's not my copy, so I don't have constant access, and when I do... Well, let's just say I'm working on something specific (in my spare time, when I'm not writing) that I think you folks will appreciate more than just another person answering questions. :cool:

(That's not to denigrate, in any way, the good folks who are answering questions. But that's the point; there are already people doing that, leaving me free for this other thing.) ;)

Remove ads