D&D 5E Finally

Lanoitakude

First Post
I'm interested in further details about the Arcane Trickster.

Are the features basically the same as in the Alpha spoiler?

Spellcasting, Mage Hand Legerdemain (pick pockets/open locks with Mage Hand), Magical Ambush (enemies have Disadvantage on Saves if you are hidden), Versatile Trickster (Mage Hand can give Advantage with Bonus Action), and Spell Thief?

Thanks folks! All the responses are much appreciated :cool:

Sitara

Explorer
Could anyone with the book list lower level Warlock invocations (say the ones for lvl 1-10)? I really want to see how they differ from 3.5 Warlock.

Lanoitakude

First Post
Could anyone with the book list lower level Warlock invocations (say the ones for lvl 1-10)? I really want to see how they differ from 3.5 Warlock.

I cannot post links yet (haven't made enough posts on the forums), but if you go to the 5th Edition Reddit, there is a thread called "Have a copy of Player Handbook..."

Within that thread is an image link that contains all of the Warlock invocations. They are very different from 3.5 Edition. Invocations this time around are supplemental spells and abilities that augment your baseline spell casting ability.

gyor

Legend
Ranger favored enemy - advantage on survival against them and free language of your enemy - dificult terain ignored by party when traveling over land - tracking more info - fighting styles add to damage or attacks or ac - spells up to 5th level

archtypes chose from hunter or beast master - hunter +1d8 damage per hit usualy - beast master gets companion animal (players comes with hawk, mastiff and panther) verbal no action to command your animal.

wood elf dex +2 and wisdom +1 weapon training 35 foot walking speed and can hide when only lightly obscured by foliage

half elf cha +2 and any two +1 - darkvison advantage vs sleep and charm and free 2 skill proficiancies

lay on hands paladin lvl 1 pool of hp is level X5 uses an action you can split that HP up as you want as an action all day

pact boons at 3rd level pact of chain you learn find familiar and you can use your action to make yoru familiar attack - pact of the blade you can create pact weapons as an action in combat and can TRANSFORM existing weapons into your pact weapon. Pact of the tome, you get 3 cantrips from OTHER classes the otherworldly patrons area is waaaaay too long to type its very detailed.

bat, black bear, boar, brown bear, cat, constrictor snake, crocodile, dire wolf, frog, giant eagle, giant spider, hawk, imp, lion, mastiff, mule, owl, panther, poisonous snake, pseudodragon, quasit, rat, raven, reef shark, riding horse, skeleton, sprite, tiger, warhorse, wolf, zombie

I don't see Elk in the list, so I guess you can't use that potential steed until you have the MM. I also don't see giant bat, but Giant Spider may have taken its place. Also doesn't appear to be Unicorns and Nightmares on that list which were the Apex of Find Steed in the Alpha. A Tiger would make a cool steed, but I doubt you can take any animal not spefically mentioned in the Find Steed Spell in Organized Play, and the Adenture's Legue Handbook which covers Organized Play rules does not address it.

Does the Find Steed Spell still specify Nightmares and Unicorns in higher slots of Find Steed, because those were cool miunts, and if it doesn't mention them by name I doubt they'll be allowed in organized play. Thanks.

Palladion

Adventurer
Thank you so much to Brian for taking the reigns while the thread exploded this afternoon. Unforunately, I will not be back to answering until a bit later tonight (but I will try to sneak an answer or two in if I can). I apologize if it seems like I skipped you, I am trying to quickly reference...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Anyone else find it a little odd that official WotC products are stating '... for the worlds greatest roleplaying game' just like 3rd party publishers generally do when referring to being compatible with D&D but not wanting to use that name due to trademark issues? Clearly not a 'real' issue, but something that just strikes me as a bit 'off'...

I assume because now if you put that on your book, you may well be violating trademark or tradedress of WOTC.

Not necessarily. Smite are one use per attack. Burn a slot, get a damage boost to one attack that round. Divine Favor lasts for a minute. And like most Paladin only spells, it requires a Verbal component only and is a swift action to cast. So you can cast and use in the same round.
1st-level Smite: 2d8, avg. 9 pts.
Divine Favor: 1d4, avg. 2.5 pts.

You'd have to hit four times for the damage from Divine Favor to pass the damage from just a 1st-level Smite. That's four rounds from Lv. 1-4, two rounds Lv. 5+. And since it's always better to apply the same damage all at once, because you want to kill them faster, tactically it's better to use the Smite.

You're right about it being a bonus action letting you use both, but even then I'd probably prefer to use that bonus action/2nd spell slot on one of the Paladin's Smite spells (stacking with Divine Smite), which will again be more damaging all at once and probably also have a strong condition to inflict on top of that.

Kurotowa

Legend
For those not inclined to go hunting, I want to highlight that there are Invocation with an entirely new mechanic that wasn't seen in previous version. There's a series with the clause "you can cast this spell with one of your spell slots, but only once per long rest." It's an odd mid point between having a 1/day power and adding it on your spell list. I expect they're all spells that don't normally appear on the Warlock spell list.

So you've got Invocations that provide passive buffs, like vision enchantments or Eldritch Blast upgrades. You've got low level spells that are at-will. You've got high level spells that consume a spell slot and are only once per long rest. Spice with a few odd balls mostly tied to pact choice, and it's an interesting range of power types all packed into the Invocations options.

Lanoitakude

First Post

I was bored, see below! *This is taken from information gained from the Reddit. I do not have the book.*

Warlock Invocations

Agonizing Blast [req eldritch blast]
Add CHA to damage dealt.

Armor of Shadows
Mage armor at will

Ascendant Step (Req lvl9)
Levitate at will

Beast Speech
Speak with animals at will

Beguiling Influence
Proficiency in Deception and Persuasion

Bewitching Whispers
Cast compulsion once/day using a spell slot.

Book of Ancient Secrets [Req Pact of the Tome]
Add Rituals to your Tome.

Chains of Carceri [Req lvl15, Pact of the Chain]
Cast hold monster at-will, only against celestials, fiends, elementals. Cannot cast it twice on same creature per long rest.

Devil’s Sight
See in normal/magical darkness out to 120 feet.

Dreadful Word [Req lvl7]
Cast confusion once per day using a spell slot.

Eldritch Sight
Cast detect magic at-will.

Eldritch Spear [Req eldtrich blast cantrip]
Range is now 300.

Eyes of the Rune Keeper
Can read all writing.

Fiendish Vigor
Cast false life at-will as 1st level spell.

Gaze of Two Minds
See through willing creatures eyes while concentrating.

Lifedrinker [Req lvl12, Pact of the Blade]
Add CHA mod necrotic damage to pact blade attacks.

Mask of Many Faces
Disguise self at will

Master of Myriad Forms [Req lvl15]
Alter self at will.

Minions of Chaos
Conjure elemental once per day using spell slot.

Mire the Mind [Req lvl5]
Cast slow once per day using a spell slot.

Misty Visions
Silent image at will.

One with Shadows [Req lvl5]
Use Action to become invisible while in dim light or darkness. Lasts until you move or take any actions.

Otherworldly Leap [Req lvl9]
Jump spell at will.

Repelling Blast [req eldritch blast cantrip]
Knocks back target 10 feet.

Sculptor of Flesh
Polymorph once per day using spell slot.

Sign of Ill Omen [req lvl5]
Bestow curse once per day using spell slot.

Thief of Five Fates
Cast bane once per day using spell slot.

Thirsting Blade [Req lvl5, Pact of the Blade]
Make two attacks when take Attack action with pact weapon.

Vision of Distant Realms [req lvl15]
Cast arcane eye at will.

Voice of the Chain Master [Pact of the Chain]
Can see and speak through familiar.

Whispers of the Grave [req lvl9]
Speak with dead at will

Witch Sight [req lvl15]
Automatically see true form of magically disguised or shapeshifted creatures within 30 feet.

Remove ads