D&D 5E Finally

Ravenheart87

Explorer
I agree with you partially. While there is no bug free, I think there's a threshold where it becomes worth waiting or not purchasing. A good example is 4e where if you bought the books at launch, they were basically worthless because of too many errors.
Yeah, but 4e core wasn't reprinted or revised either. You got errate and a huge amount of updates, but you still needed the same core books until Essentials and Rules Compendium was out (which is a different kind of animal). Still, people played and had fun even with the "buggy" 4e. And then we didn't mention earlier editions.

variant

Adventurer
Yeah, but 4e core wasn't reprinted or revised either. You got errate and a huge amount of updates, but you still needed the same core books until Essentials and Rules Compendium was out (which is a different kind of animal). Still, people played and had fun even with the "buggy" 4e. And then we didn't mention earlier editions.

Many people used DDI or quit playing. While some might have tolerated it, I just say it was broken and WotC never bothered to try and fix it until much later.. I think that is utterly ridiculous.

Yet then the digital just gets updated and they can keep people paying a monthly fee for the fixed ruleset which goes from ridiculous to very shady.

Li Shenron

Legend
Didn't the 3e errata get added in the PHB like two years later with 3.5? I also think it wasn't until the leather PHB that we got the 3.5 errata added.

There was an early print of 3.0 with more errata than a later print of 3.0, which however wasn't completely error-free. I bought the 3.0 corebooks in 2001 and they were of the later print variety.

There is never a "bug-free" version

Maybe a RPG company is typically too small to afford it, but there CAN definitely be a bug-free version of a book. In fact, there are millions of books published that have no errors at all.

If you mean, there cannot be a RPG book where all the rules are perfect and wouldn't benefit from a tweak, that's another matter.

Ravenheart87

Explorer
Many people used DDI or quit playing. While some might have tolerated it, I just say it was broken and WotC never bothered to try and fix it until much later.. I think that is utterly ridiculous.

Yet then the digital just gets updated and they can keep people paying a monthly fee for the fixed ruleset which goes from ridiculous to very shady.
That's true. But so far 5e seems to be a million times better than 4e when it comes to "bugs".

variant

Adventurer
There was an early print of 3.0 with more errata than a later print of 3.0, which however wasn't completely error-free. I bought the 3.0 corebooks in 2001 and they were of the later print variety.

Do you know when that printing came out? Was it the one where the CD was no longer included in the back of the book? If you still have the books, it may give the printing date.

That's true. But so far 5e seems to be a million times better than 4e when it comes to "bugs".

So far it's limited to mostly just spell list errors or missing spells. Give people some time though as they read the whole thing.

Li Shenron

Legend
Do you know when that printing came out? Was it the one where the CD was no longer included in the back of the book? If you still have the books, it may give the printing date.

It definitely had the CD... maybe I had the first print then? I can check the date.

edit: cannot actually find the date, there's a @2000 copyright sign but not sure if it also means which print

So far it's limited to mostly just spell list errors or missing spells. Give people some time though as they read the whole thing.

Spell names mismatch aren't that bad. The errata I'm afraid of are e.g. rules that are printed in an obsolete version, wrong numbers, and inconsistencies across different instances of the same thing.

Last edited:

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Well, I had pre-ordered mine through Amazon (will still keep it though, dont mind having 2 copies).
But my FLGS ( Game Empire, in Pasadena, CA) has 20+ copies, so I just got back with my shinny new PHB and HotDQ. I decided that the right thing to do (and my inpatience) is to support my FLGS.

Now Gen Con in 3 days...

Having now read through most of this thread, it seems like we're seeing very few differences from the Alpha to the published PHB. That's rather disappointing, and I think I'll be holding off getting the PHB until we see the DMG, at this point.

I note from Mouseferatu's spell list that Bards didn't get any real party-buff spells along the way, nor spell-songs, which is quite sad.

One thing I am unclear on - are there any Feats which give you proficiency in stuff except the +1 to a stat and an armour proficiency ones? In the last playtest (not the Alpha), many Feats gave some benefits and proficiency in X/Y/Z, but in the Alpha those were all gone, except for the armour ones. Any come back? Do any Feats hand out skills aside from the inevitable "exchange this Feat for some skills of your choice" Feat?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Hi all, the phb wont make it here to sydney for another 2 weeks - can someone please describe what the sorceror metamagic quicken spell ability does? Cheers!

Dastion

First Post
Hi all, the phb wont make it here to sydney for another 2 weeks - can someone please describe what the sorceror metamagic quicken spell ability does? Cheers!

Spend 2 Sorcery points to cast a spell that normally takes an Action as a Bonus Action. Note that the rules for Bonus action spells still apply. If you use a bonus action to cast a spell you can't use your action to cast another spell unless it is a Cantrip.

Remove ads