D&D 5E Finding 5th edition too "safe".

pemerton

Legend
I put my players in mortal danger on a regular basis
To echo [MENTION=518]JeffB[/MENTION], I'm not sure that's a game I want to play in!

If your campaign is safe, you aren't challenging your players.
And to also be more serious - it might be good or bad to have the main stakes of the game be whether the PCs live or die, but that is certainly not the only way to have a challenging game.

pemerton

Legend
I think your memory is a bit clouded. A 12th level PC still failed on a 7-9 or lower. That's still a great chance to instantly die, even at high levels. A 9th level (and name level meant something in AD&D*) PC still had roughly a 50% chance of missing their save or die.
in AD&D, a house cat can kill a level 1 PC, and a 1 HD poisonous snake has a 50% chance of killing a 9th level PC in one hit. And that's not even getting into things like level drain or spells like disintegrate.
Here are the AD&D saving throws for 9th level PCs:

Code:
       Poison, Paralysation, Death    Petrfication, Polymorph        R/S/W       Breath Weapon    Spells/Magic
Cleric          7                             10                      11              13                  12
Fighter         8                             9                       10              9                   11
MU              13                            11                      9               13                  10
Thief           11                            10                      10              14                  11

So for most 9th level PCs, once rings/cloaks of protection, periapts of proof against poison and the like are factored in, the chance of success on a save vs death or poison will often be quite a bit better than 50/50.

Saves against breath weapon and AoE spells will often be being buffed by armour or DEX; and other saves may be buffed by WIS.

I think you're slightly exaggerating the difficulty of making saves in high level AD&D.

Seriously, though, it's about the pattern I found in AD&D, also. Low level, sure, it's deadly, but you quickly grow out of that. The monsters never get that badass. Once you get out the other end of the 'sweet spot' it's as 'too easy' as 5e could ever claim to be. Maybe 5e gets too easy too soon? You could try increasing the exp to level.

+1 to this idea. My current campaign (four weeks old now? Six?) requires 10x XP to level up (so 2nd level is 3000 XP), with 50% reduced XP from monsters if you don't kill or permanently dispose of them, and additionally reduced XP if the monster's CR is lower than your level. On the other hand, you do get XP for spending gold offscreen on character goals (like wooing a love interest or saving your home village) on a 1:1 basis--basically you can convert gold to XP. So, if anyone ever earns the 3,550,000 XP necessary to get to twentieth level it will almost certainly be from spending treasure and not from killing monsters.

As I said, it's a new campaign, but so far the advancement pace is working really nicely. Everyone is still 2nd or 3rd level, and four Shadow Demons are a really scary threat, and even regular orcs are something that the players are cautious around.

That's not necessarily true. If your campaign feels safe, you aren't challenging your players. But players can be "challenged" by the perception of danger, even where it does not really exist. When your players come across a dead frog floating in the pond (http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2012/05/on-missed-treasure.html), it does not matter whether the frog was full of slaad tadpoles or magic swords as long as the players think it might be full of something horrible and avoid it. I actually dropped this exact floating frog into my encounter last night, and it was awesome. The players refused to drink the water too even though they were starving and dehydrated to the point of exhaustion.

Li Shenron

Legend
Reduce the amount of healing Hit dice you can have/spend, reduce how fast you get them back, remove overnight full HP healing, remove revivify and perhaps healing spells that have a range... that should help.

I would go a very different route, because IMHO the abundance of healing is not the problem.

It's not so much how easy it is to bounce back to full health, but rather how really dangerous it is when your health is low, and it isn't very dangerous. IMO if you slow down healing, all you get is that the PCs will try to withdraw and rest more often. The main result is that you'll get less encounters per day, but lethality won't increase much.

So then you would need to force more encounters, or use bigger monsters, but this you can do already, without the need to house rule HP/HD/healing.

More and bigger monsters certainly helps to push the PCs towards the "danger window", but compared to older edition IMO that window is not as dangerous. The main reasons are (1) death saves, (2) options to stabilize, (3) revivify. In addition, the whole 5e is remarkably (4) lacking save-or-die spells, and even (5) save-or-suck spells often offer repeated saves every round. Finally there are (6) no "death spiral" effects such as level drain and ability score damage.

So if I wanted an overall more lethal 5e, I would consider tinkering with those, maybe change just 1-2 of them at a time and see how it works.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way

This is much more in line with my (relatively limited) experience of 5e. As 1st and 2nd level characters, we got pasted several times, and my character did in fact die (but was revived via a combination of DM lenience and the other players being good sports). 5e combat was extremely brutal, to the point of putting us in mortal danger literally every single fight--although I can't say 100% for sure, I'm *pretty* sure we didn't have a single combat go by without somebody hitting 0. Often multiple somebodies.

5E is plenty deadly; it just becomes next to impossible to kill a PC in one shot after 3rd level. The worst that happens is they drop to 0HP and have a few rounds to either stabilise or die.

I like this about the game.

I suppose if you want to one shot your PCs more often, all you need to do is bring back AD&D/ 3E's -10 HP rule and do away with death saves.

Bayonet

First Post
It's easy enough to house-rule, in any number of ways. Variant rest and recovery, increasing CR for encounters, changing or eliminating saving throws, ruling death at 0hp.

If you're players want 5e to be more deadly, make it so.

Sadras

Legend
To the OP
Granted everyone's play experience is different, but just to give you an indication what has happened at our table - we have had 2 deaths, 1 banishment as well as two PC's being turned (vampires) and this is only within an 18-month period.

Personally it requires more work to fix 2e, than to make a few house-rules to make 5e more lethal. Do not get the logic of going back.

Remove ads