Firefly Reconsidered: Why Firefly Isn't "Hall of Fame" Great

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think that length is necessary. HBO's Chernobyl miniseries was phenomenal. I think it should go down history as one of the best works of history inspired drama on TV. It did not need to be six seasons and a movie to count.
HBO has its customers trained well. Any show they had even a partial glancing hand in gets referred to as “HBO’s X”. Quite the accomplishment!

Firefly isn’t habitually referred to as “Fox’s Firefly”. But Rome, a series HBO didn’t make, is refreshing to as “HBO’s Rome”. How did HBO accomplish this feat of Pavlovian training?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
All time great TV show seems not even worth going after in any reasonable fashion. All time great sci-fi seems a not inane try, but I doubt it would make it if everyone sat down and compared the contenders. Favorite show? it would be sad to be on a show where no one had you as a favorite.

----

RE: FOX sci-fi

Brisco was a hoot but seemed more uneven. But I love Brisco's friendship with Bowler, Comet, that one of the characters is Wiley Coyote, and the theme song. (And I really like lots of other things about it). My 11yo loves the show too.

The one I'm most disappointed.it didn't get to end the way it wanted to is Dark Angel. I love the ensemble cast working at Jam Pony. My vote for most tragic early cancellation, and above Brisco on my personal list.

But anyway, I wouldn't argue either belongs on a best of TV list, even if I would vote for them on a top 10 favorites list and they're some of the few shows I actually own.

---

I liked him better in Castle.

Are Alf and Third Rock from the Sun Sci-Fi, or is an alien centered comedy not enough.

----

M*A*S*H is the GOAT for TV in general. (But then again I've never seen any of the cable only in the US shows, so greatest pre 2000 anyway).

Last edited:

Genuinely interesting seeing responses about people rewatching Buffy. I was never into it in the first place, but I think my suspicion about his stuff generally aging poorly is well and truly wrong.

Ugh, how many self contained problems and solutions can you take? I mean it just sucks that Dr House is so damn smart and good at his job that he cant be fired... It's like eating cheerios over and over again just hoping for a piece of fruit or something to make it less expected and predictable. Also, you did pick one of the worst examples in Walking Dead, which is a masters class in filler episodes. (This is what happens when ratings are too good, shows are not allowed to die...) HBO Watchmen or The Leftovers now those are some complete breakfasts that don't come in a box with a toy as a gimmick.

Once serialized TV shows happened I stopped being able to handle anything else. Closest I can get now is something like the Crown, which is serialized in many (most?) ways, and though each episode is also very self-contained it wouldn't really hang together without a sequential watch. Sometimes the serial element of a show doesn't work out, but anything else feels so antiquated and silly to me now.

Also, the Leftovers is a perfect show, even when it's not. Biggest swings of any series, which only connected because of the serialized format, and how mercilessly they would subvert it.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Favorite show? it would be sad to be on a show where no one had you as a favorite.
MV5BMWNjMWU2YzQtMDQ4ZC00YWE1LWFmZjUtOWI1ODI3Y2Q1YWFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjA0MDQ0Mjc@._V1_QL75_UX140_CR0,0,140,140_.jpg

I mean, behind Jake Busey's toothy grin is a sad clown.

Snarf Zagyg

Also, the Leftovers is a perfect show, even when it's not. Biggest swings of any series, which only connected because of the serialized format, and how mercilessly they would subvert it.
What I tell people: "Just make it through the first season. Yes, it's so depressing, but it's worth it."

What I don't tell people: "Because if you make it through that, it's amazing TV. And the ending episodes ... will haunt you for eternity and make the first season seem like a light-hearted romp."

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
HBO has people trained well. Any show they had even a partial glancing hand in gets referred to as “HBO’s X”. Quite the accomplishment!

Firefly isn’t habitually referred to as “Fox’s Firefly”. But Rome, a series HBO didn’t make, is refreshing to as “HBO’s Rome”. How did HBO accomplish this feat of Pavlovian training?
Premium subscription service - you had to seek it out and pay for it on top of your other cable fees in contrast to anything broadcast over the airwaves on Fox, ABC, etc. I suppose it still has a reputation as a premium service (even after the final season of Game of Thrones) of high quality TV shows.
Fox, by comparison, doesn't exactly scream "premium".

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I have a thing about creating various lists.

And, of course, there is also the lingering knowledge of Fox killing off shows ... this was a long trend for them ... Action, Profit, Almost Human, Undeclared, Wonderfalls, The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr., The Tick, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Now I'm thinking a top # poll of FOX sci-fi shows would be fun. I just don't know how big # should be or how many each person should be able to vote for.

Snarf Zagyg

Now I'm thinking a top # poll of FOX sci-fi shows would be fun. I just don't know how big # should be or how many each person should be able to vote for.

Well, the other issue would be defining the shows that are eligible. Is Profit sci-fi? I certainly don't think so (despite the amazing star role of Adrian 'I'm in all the sci fi' Pasdar), but I certainly wouldn't want to exclude any shows out by accident.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Well, the other issue would be defining the shows that are eligible. Is Profit sci-fi? I certainly don't think so (despite the amazing star role of Adrian 'I'm in all the sci fi' Pasdar), but I certainly wouldn't want to exclude any shows out by accident.

Are there any web-sites that categorize. I was thinking IMDB, but on my phone anyway it looks really strict.

Maybe that's the first poll, which of the FOX shows should count as sci-fi. (Buffy is just fantasy, right?)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Premium subscription service - you had to seek it out and pay for it on top of your other cable fees in contrast to anything broadcast over the airwaves on Fox, ABC, etc. I suppose it still has a reputation as a premium service (even after the final season of Game of Thrones) of high quality TV shows.
Fox, by comparison, doesn't exactly scream "premium".
So to train folks to parrot your brand name, you just have to make them pay for it?

Remove ads