• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First 4E Game: I enjoyed myself

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I just played my first actual rather than simulated 4E Game. A friend and myself did quite a few mock combats prior to the start up for the group because we wanted to get a feel for 4 E combat. That isn't the same as working in a group.

I have to stay I liked 4E combat. It was fun at low level unlike previous editions of DnD.

Pros:

1. Everyone gets to do something interesting: Almost everyone in the group including neutered wizard was able to contribute in a very definite and unique way. The wizard was a minion destroyer (thought this put a big arrow over his head just like the old days). The Warlord was working with the Paladin to hold the line in a very effective manner. Our strikers (infernal warlock and two weapon ranger) were roving over the battlefield taking out targets not occupied by the defender in a very expedient manner.

2. Monsters feel dangerous again: The monsters weren't a bunch of easily defeated chumps. They weren't unbeatable, but you definitely had to think about how to fight them. They were just shifty little kobolds. But they gave us a good fight.

I like the way they have tailored monsters and thought about fighting tactics for groups of minions and monsters. You really feel like you are fighting some little bastard humanoids. Shifty, scurrying dragonshield kobolds.

Good job on the monsters.

3. Group dynamic makes for a more interactive table: Our group thought about how they could best work as a group because certain classes are built for enhancing a group rather than going for the glory. The Wizard and Warlord had the most effective group powers followed by the defender. The least effective group member as far as providing support were the strikers, though they did bring the pain. I guess that is there contribution to the group for the most part.

Made for a fun table. Everyone seems to be able to contribute in an interesting way and get their chance to shine.

4. Healing: Healing doesn't seem as necessary. It's nice to be able to get through a fight and feel like you can take the pain. No need to wait days for healing or until the cleric memorizes enough spells. Just use a few surges and you're ok again.

I like the feel of it. Feels more alike to a book. That's a very big positive for me.

5. Minis: These are just fun. I enjoyed moving my character around on the map. It is much easier to visualize the game and combat with miniatures and a map.

And it's goofy fun to make your miniature talk in a funny voice and flick the monster you just killed over in the square and put your mini on top of it to roleplay your character dancing on the enemy's grave.

Cons:

1. Treasure: The treasure was a little light.

2. Combat was long: Combat was as long or longer than 3.5. Monsters don't die as easily. They get special powers too that can cause problems. Everyone now has to think about what they're going to do and sweat the eternal question of when to blow off that big, bad daily power or who your encounter power will be most effective against. Who to give the bonus to for your power and the like.

I don't know if this will scale better than 3.5 where it went from very simple at low level to very complex (at least for casters) at high level. I'm thinking it will scale better than 3.5 at high level and be more complex and longer at low level.

But at least combat is fun, so that makes up for the time spent trying to have well-organized group.

DM is getting used to how the monsters work too. It should speed up some once he gets the monsters movement and attack options down.

Overall, I had a good time. It's kind of fun to start at level one again and not know what is going on. I've played 3.5 for so long that I haven't started at level one in 3.5 in years. The low levels no longer appealed to me. It was more of a slog at level one to excitement post level ten.

Now I feel excited about being level one. I get to see what this new leveling path is like. That is a big part of the fun of 4E. They did such radical changes to the game that it feels like an entirely different game that I know nothing about. I had such a good time playing it (primarily due to the newness) that I can't remember when I had such a good time at the DnD table.

I have to give props to the designers for creating a fun game. I'm still not sure I'm going to buy it because the newness may wear off after I've used my at will power for twenty levels and used the same encounters and dailies for every battle. But right now playing 4E is like opening a Christmas gift and finding a toy that feels both familiar and new at the same time. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays.

Glad you liked it despite your initial reservations.

So far, it seems as if the complexity stays "manageable" at all levels. I am running a straight-up 1st level D&D 4 game, and it was easy to manage. Another one in my group converted his Savage Tide campaign to 4E, and he found it very easy to manage, just as I did.

Oh, and definitely, 1st level is interesting again - as player and as a DM. As a DM I often faced the problem of wanting to make combat interesting with interesting NPC abilities, but that's hard to do at low levels. That trouble seems gone.

Combat Lenghts seems to go shorter, but it seems to remain noticeable when you fight solos (at least if in a mostly "featureless" terrain - it is harder to bring many standard features of terrain to bear).

On your fear: Well, to be honest, that's a fear I have in my mind too, because people keep telling me the game is not good, it has serious flaws, and can't sustain long-term campaigns and what-else. But can this really be true?
We already opened our first "Christmas Gift" when we tried out Pathfinder, and it definitely didn't feel that much different from 3E, and the "fun level" didn't increase that much (I think the DM was a little more affected then the players, though). So I think it is more then just the "new toy"-feel. I hope it's "for real", and just not an illusion that wears off. (Or if it wears off, it takes as long as 3E did ;) )

I'm interested! I expect the OP will summarize my feelings about 4E as well, when I finally get to play the thing. Unfortunately (in some sense) I'm currently in the midst of two 3.5 campaigns, both pretty epic stuff that won't be done for at least several more months.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Well, I was interested, at least.

We've played 4 sessions of 4e, so far. My experience has been that combat gets MUCH FASTER once you've played a session or two. We have six players: one defender, three strikers, one leader and one controller. Combat is much more flavorful, for us, and the speed was a considerable improvement. Once you start getting a feel for you powers and how to interact with your party, speed comes.

Case in point: This past saturday, we fought a battle in a huge cave. As fighter (a defender) I charged in after the rogue was found out. She was charged by pair of mini-velociraptor things. I ran in and used my Covering Attack power to shift her out of danger (effectively grabbing and tossing her while covering with my shield) and then used an action point to follow that up with a Cleave, striking both of them and placing my Fighter's Mark on the one that would be able to run around me (and thus allowing me to attack it if it moved away or didn't attack me). The cleric struck a nearby goblin and then used one of his powers to give me an attack bonus, while the warlock and rogue jumped across the battlefield to surround and take down some other goblins.

The combat felt engaging and everyone felt like they had a part to play. We interacted as a team and combat was speedy. This combat had the six of us, the two dinos, half-a-dozen gobbies and something big (I forget what, just now). We did a 7 round combat in about 30-45 minutes.

DandD

First Post
Wait a minute! Celtavian likes 4th edition? Wasn't Celtavian an anti-4th edition poster two weeks ago, or a strong disliker?

What is happening? Are dogs and cats raining now? Gosh, I'm so out-dated, and out of news. :p

Foundry of Decay

First Post
I had much the same experience myself when we first ran a game or two. It was pretty much like exploring a new game, but didn't have the added need to relearn a new complex suite of skills.

DM prep time remains my favorite thing so far. Its a tangible difference going from a weeks worth of preparation to preparing just the day before and getting enough plotted out that the characters don't run out of things to do. (as long as they don't do something insane like state that they want to start exploring the ocean floor in some distant sea.)

I know the 'newness' will wear off. It does in every system. However I hope that enough material will be available for my group and I to go through multiple campaigns and that higher levels play out like they are at the lower levels. I'm finding we're an adaptable bunch though, and don't see that we'll run out of things to do in this system once we fully get into the mindset.

So far we're six games in and things haven't become stale at all.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
We've played 4 sessions of 4e, so far. My experience has been that combat gets MUCH FASTER once you've played a session or two. We have six players: one defender, three strikers, one leader and one controller. Combat is much more flavorful, for us, and the speed was a considerable improvement. Once you start getting a feel for you powers and how to interact with your party, speed comes.

I've noticed this too. On about our third (or was it fourth?) session, combat speed REALLY picked up, literally doubling the number of encounters we could get through in a session, and that included one battle with a goblin underboss and his over-100-hit-points.

Olorin

Into the West
I am interested! His experience largely mirrors my own. I guess people just don't feel the need to comment as much on more positive opinions.

I'd disagree that you don't need healing... without a leader type I think long battles would become much much more difficult.

Regarding getting tired of using the same abilities over and over... hopefully it didn't happen in 3E so it won't happen here. :) You'll get new encounter/dailies/utility powers as you level up (and more of them), and things like paragon path powers and/or multiclass options will also hopefully keep things fresh as you level. The idea of 30th level wizards killing arch-demons with their magic missle has an amusing aspect to me anyway. :)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Interesting that the OP liked the new system and sees its merits. As for the previous comment on healing. You can manage with out a healer, especially if the DM allow access to healing potions but with out a leader, when things go wrong they go wrong fast.
If the defender is dropped then the party has a very small window to sort things out.

Remove ads