D&D 5E First 5E Session - Some Inevitable Rules Questions

Last night my group played its first ever 5E session. My group have all played D&D for 5+ years (and some for over 20+ years!) and we just finished a 2 year 3.5E campaign and decided now was a good time to give 5E a try. None of us are new to D&D, but we are all new to 5E. We’re playing LMoP and decided to just use pre-gen characters so we could spend the session playing, rather than constructing characters.

The game itself went very well, but we had a couple of questions about the WotC pregen characters we used that we couldn't figure out, as well as some general rules questions. We all played pregens from the WotC website (not the LMoP pregens, but the ones that have character sheets for levels 1-10) - http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets

Firstly, I was playing the Drow Rogue. On his skills it has a * next to the Perception and Stealth skills, but I couldn’t figure out why they were there or what they signified. Also, he has Stealth +7. Dex is +3, Proficiency is +2. Where is the other +2 from?

Another player had the Halfling Monk. Both his Shortword and Unarmed Strike did +4 damage. He gets +3 damage from his Dex, but we couldn’t figure out where the other +1 was from.

Finally, we had a question about regaining Hit Dice. The rules state that:

At the end of a long rest, a character regains all lost hit points. The character also regains spent Hit Dice, up to a number of dice equal to half of the character’s total number of them (minimum of one die). For example, if a character has eight Hit Dice, he or she can regain four spent Hit Dice upon finishing a long rest.

Does this mean that the most Hit Dice you can ever recover is half your character’s total hit dice, or is that just referring to how many Hit Dice you can recover in one long rest?

For example, I am an 8th level Fighter. I have 2 Hit Dice unused when we stop for a long rest. Do I recover 4 Hit Dice from the rest (for a total of 6 Hit Dice) as that is half my character’s total hit dice? Or do I recover 2 Hit Dice from the rest (for a total of 4 Hit Dice) as I can never have more Hit Dice than half my character’s total hit dice?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Regarding the rogue, the class gets a feature called Expertise. It means on certain skills it can add twice his proficiency bonus. That's likely where the +2 comes from on the stealth. The * marks which skills he is proficient in, most likely.

Monk - I'm not familiar with the class, so I'm not sure I can help there.

You would recover 4 HD from 1 long rest.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Firstly, I was playing the Drow Rogue. On his skills it has a * next to the Perception and Stealth skills, but I couldn’t figure out why they were there or what they signified. Also, he has Stealth +7. Dex is +3, Proficiency is +2. Where is the other +2 from?
Those two things are linked - check out the Expertise under Rogue Features. That extra +2 comes from doubling the Proficiency bonus for those two skills.

Another player had the Halfling Monk. Both his Shortword and Unarmed Strike did +4 damage. He gets +3 damage from his Dex, but we couldn’t figure out where the other +1 was from.
I can't tell either. I'm guessing it's a math mistake.

Does this mean that the most Hit Dice you can ever recover is half your character’s total hit dice, or is that just referring to how many Hit Dice you can recover in one long rest?
Just how many you can recover in 1. Essentially, if you've used up > 1/2 of your HD, it'll take two long rests to get 'em all back. In your example, you'd have 6 HD.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

Expertise.

Not sure. Might be an error.

Finally, we had a question about regaining Hit Dice. The rules state that:

At the end of a long rest, a character regains all lost hit points. The character also regains spent Hit Dice, up to a number of dice equal to half of the character’s total number of them (minimum of one die). For example, if a character has eight Hit Dice, he or she can regain four spent Hit Dice upon finishing a long rest.

For example, I am an 8th level Fighter. I have 2 Hit Dice unused when we stop for a long rest. Do I recover 4 Hit Dice from the rest (for a total of 6 Hit Dice) as that is half my character’s total hit dice? Or do I recover 2 Hit Dice from the rest (for a total of 4 Hit Dice) as I can never have more Hit Dice than half my character’s total hit dice?

You recover 4 hit dice and now have 6 hit dice after the long rest. If you take another long rest, you're restored to full.

Ah, Expertise. I think that is definitely the case for the Rogue. Not sure how I missed that as it is listed on the pregen character sheet, which is only 1 page long! :)

I also think the Monk's damage is an error. It seems like an odd one to make though as the bonus damage is only from the Dex bonus, so it's not like it's even an addition error. The 4th level version of the Monk has a +4 to Dex, but the damage for his attacks is still 1dX+4, so I'm pretty sure it is an error.

Cheers for the clarification on the Hit Dice recovery. The PHB errata cleared up another query we had about that as to whether 1st level characters actually gain Hit Dice from a long rest (they do). Halved numbers are usually rounded down, but the PHB and basic rules didn't say that it was to a minimum of 1.

I'm sure we'll have more rules queries next session. So far, so good though.

Radaceus

Adventurer

This must be an error, if the Monk has +3 dex and I presume +2 Proficiency bonus, he should have a total attack modifier of +5. The only thing I can think is the pre-gen is adding the STR mod to the attack ( assuming it is a +2) which totals to +4

EDIT:
oops i misread...damage is +4... okay still in error, unless he has +1 from a feat or racial trait., which I can't think of any for damage

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
This must be an error, if the Monk has +3 dex and I presume +2 Proficiency bonus, he should have a total attack modifier of +5. The only thing I can think is the pre-gen is adding the STR mod to the attack ( assuming it is a +2) which totals to +4
He means damage, not attack, which doesn't get proficiency.

Radaceus

Adventurer
I just downloaded the PDf and had a look at that Halfling Monk...I think they reverse engineered and forgot to edit back to a 17 Dex, at 4th level the pre-gen chose +1 dex and +1 wis, and the modifier stays the same (correctly pointed at +4 for 18 dex) on those attacks

I just downloaded the PDf and had a look at that Halfling Monk...I think they reverse engineered and forgot to edit back to a 17 Dex, at 4th level the pre-gen chose +1 dex and +1 wis, and the modifier stays the same (correctly pointed at +4 for 18 dex) on those attacks

Yep, this was the conclusion I came to as well.

Remove ads