D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
because they said so
Which is a lot of what this is, honestly. A lot of the early discussion in that video seemed to be minor variations of "it's in the book, so that's the limit" so they're now revising things to make it even more explicit that no, you really can use your imagination and make stuff up. Like small humans. I'm here for it...but that seems a bit odd. Are that many people still locked into the "unless the rule book gives me explicit permission, it's not allowed" mindset? If that's a thing, why not have that explicitly in every race? No reason you couldn't have a small orc or a medium goblin. Once you're not talking about humans it's all fantasy anyway. Not complaining about the change, just surprised that the designers seem to think they need to make that explicit in the rules.

dave2008

Legend

Unearthed Arcana: Character Origins | One D&D​

Revised conditions (future UA).
  • Added "Slowed" condition
New rules for inspiration.
  • You get inspiration when you roll a 20.
  • If have inspiration, and you get inspiration from another source you can give that extra inspiration to a party member (you can't have 2 instances yourself)
  • Humans start each day with inspiration

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
25:58
"Your not only getting a benefit, it's a benefit your character didn't have before. This is a pure additionthat we're providing now for everybody. and we have that in mind as we decide what qualifies as a first level feat & what doesn't. Basically anything that's going to dramatically increase character power in some way, people are not going to see as a first level feat. That is the domain of higher level feats where the game's math can handle adjustments to raw power. Most first level feats are about increasing a character's versatility & speaking to different key backstories. You'll see that these feats .. are all featured in at least one of the sample backgrounds in this document. You can also see looking at the sample backgrounds how to match first level feats with a background if you decide to build your own background"

Vague magic changes
New & modified conditions too.

I feel like someone in the meeting made the same mistake that the Microsoft people did and were like "They say it just the number, right, so if we call it 'One' they'll say "Let's go play the One."

But these are positive developments! At the least, I can see they are taking inspiration from some more tightly-designed systems. Finally admitting that Feats are a thing was smart, and giving a bit more bang for your background buck is good, too. Not sure they are going to change enough for me to come back and run it myself, but hopefully it'll be more fun for me to play when someone else is running it.

Yaarel

He Mage
I love the mechanical directions 5e is taking. Also, playtesting and feedback is vital to the success.

Last edited:

Remove ads