D&D 5E First Time Homebrewer. Could use a little Help!

ChungaChris

Villager
Good Afternoon(ish)!

So, I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons 5e for about two and a half years now, and the DM who brought me into the game is starting his sequel to my first campaign soon. I really wanted to go all out on the character I am making for his campaign, so I thought it'd be fun to make my own Warlock Patron and I got the go ahead from him. I decided to go Archfey Warlock Patron, either Pact of the Blade or Pact of the Tome. Holding off on picking my Race until the new book comes out, want to see what other Fey Playable Races will come out in it.

Issue is, I've never made anything before, let alone a Warlock Patron. I was wondering what resources or tools the fine people here would suggest I check out. And tips for a first timer?

Oofta

Legend
You might want to check out DmsGuild for resources on the ArchFey. If you go here there are resources if you don't mind spending a couple of dollars.

Voadam

Legend
Good Afternoon(ish)!

So, I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons 5e for about two and a half years now, and the DM who brought me into the game is starting his sequel to my first campaign soon. I really wanted to go all out on the character I am making for his campaign, so I thought it'd be fun to make my own Warlock Patron and I got the go ahead from him. I decided to go Archfey Warlock Patron, either Pact of the Blade or Pact of the Tome. Holding off on picking my Race until the new book comes out, want to see what other Fey Playable Races will come out in it.

Issue is, I've never made anything before, let alone a Warlock Patron. I was wondering what resources or tools the fine people here would suggest I check out. And tips for a first timer?

Don't sweat it too much, go with something you think would be fun.

You can base it off of something that you are familiar with, maybe Jonathan Strange and Mister Norrel's Elf concept. Maybe something like out of Changeling the Lost. Maybe the fairy godmother from Disney's Cinderella, either straight or a more dark interpretation (that was the case for a warlock fellow PC in a 5e Disney Princess themed game I played in). Maybe Frey or Freyja the Vanir fertility/magic/warrior elven patrons from Norse mythology. Heat Miser or Cold Miser could be great.

Either add them in straight or modify them to be bit more D&D-ish. Forgotten Realms has Tyr as the god from Norse Mythology slightly modified, and you could use that as a model, or take Lathander who is based on Apollo, but a bit more obscured as to his origin.

You can come up with a themed original archfey. Pick a fun aspect theme and go with that as your base.

You might have patron specific mechanics you work out and suggest to the DM, or not.

It is an opportunity for some creativity and choice on your end, just think about if something seems like it would be fun given the D&D campaign context and how you see your character interacting with the fey or your charachter's characterization and thematics.

Yora

Legend
For my new campaign, I'm definitely going to need a frost based Archfey patron.
I lifted a whole country and culture from an earlier setting, which has an immortal good-queen who is said to be the daughter of the North Wind. That just demands frost warlocks as her elite templars.

Also gonna need warlocks of Shub-Niggurath. (Yog-Sothoth should be well covered by generic Great Old One.)

Something I've pushed out so far.

For my new campaign, I'm definitely going to need a frost based Archfey patron.
I lifted a whole country and culture from an earlier setting, which has an immortal good-queen who is said to be the daughter of the North Wind. That just demands frost warlocks as her elite templars.

Also gonna need warlocks of Shub-Niggurath. (Yog-Sothoth should be well covered by generic Great Old One.)

Something I've pushed out so far.
In my Winter Eternal game I ran, the wood elves served the Winter Queen. Basically, they were wood elves with the mobility of Eagle barbarians who left no trails in snow and didn't sink into it, ignoring the conditions (yes, I ripped off Legolas' power-move in LotR ;) ). But, instead of being good, they had turned to worship of Yeegnoghu for strength to defend themselves in the post-apocalypse. They have to eat meat, only meat, as long as it's good and fresh and raw and bloody

Build it as a character with less restrain.
Choose a fey that he or she may look like.
Use the ideal, flaws, personality, bond to add flavor.
Choose some skills that match.
Choose some special power, base on high level spells for example, that justify the status of fey patron.
make up a rival or two, same thing for allies.

Remove ads