D&D 5E First World: Possibly One of the New D&D setting?

Weiley31

Legend
Well the First World could be composed of the yet/or still forming Material Plane, then the Astral Sea all around it and in between, and finally the Far Realm.

All three could have a bunch of stuff in it and that's not including anything stranger or formed yet.

You can do the First World so many ways. Its said that all peoples throughout the multiverse were in the First World. You have this cool image now where Powers protect their children and their worshippers, giving them havens where they may live. You could have a central city that is like Sigil, but instead of a City of Doors, it is a City of Idols, where the Powers come and build great palaces that have political intrigues amongst the pantheons acted out through people both in the city and throughout the rest of the First World, where they must battle against the Chaos of All Creation in order to find a safehold within which to survive.

But I guess I'm putting too much of my own biases in here :p

Fanaelialae

Legend
Wait? Wasn't there an entry in the WotC setting contest that birthed Eberron that was a dawn world? Or even first world?
Not sure, but it's not that unusual an idea, IMO.

The campaign setting I've been running the past few years is somewhat reminiscent of how they've described the D&D multiverse arising from the First World. Although in mine, the First World was more reminiscent of ours in the 19th century. An alchemist sought to remake the universe without Original Sin, but his vision and focus were flawed (though he truly desired a world without evil, a small part of him was tainted by pride, as he also sought the recognition that such an incomparable undertaking would "reward" him with). As a result, the universe shattered into the multiverse, with countless worlds arising that were not only distorted reflections of the First World, but also each other. (Kind of like a funhouse echo chamber.) I typically create a new world for each campaign I run, and this allows me to carry common characters and other elements between these worlds. In fact, the campaign I've been working on since the pandemic started is intended to explore these origins (the PCs will start in the last remnant of the original world, which exists beyond the Nether where all things that cease to be return to, and might even meet the alchemist).

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Well, isn't Blackmoor the 'first world' of D&D?
Or maybe it they infer the 'Known World' from Basic Moldvay?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Adding the First World as a setting doesn't confirm time travel, just like adding Ravnica didn't confirm any changes to your current campaign. Theros didn't mean that Satyrs are in your world and Van Richten's didn't mean that's how the Shadowfell or Domains of Dread work in your game.

Every setting is meant as a setting -- not some giant meta plot. Because if that meta plot existed your characters would have to be 15+ levels, and we know WotC isn't supporting that play.

Quit searching for some overarching connection and enjoy the game at your table.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Or... or... and this is a -crazy- concept:

We can just play on the First World as people from the First World during it's existence and before it's destruction, therefore all the stuff we do on the First World was stuff that already happened in the history of the Multiverse so it doesn't matter what we do. Eventually the world still gets destroyed and the Multiverse does it's Multiversal thing.

No Chronomancy required.

Remove ads