D&D 5E Fixing the fighter (I know...)

Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan normally play against humans.

Fighters often find themselves in battle against black puddings.

I'm not sure the same psychological rules apply.

5e should be able to trivially handle that with its "(GM) rulings not rules" ethos.

If the GM determines that their conception of the creature's neurological system/cognitive capacity doesn't comport with being demoralized, then they can just voice that...and, if need be, the Fighter can spend their next use of <Reskinned Portent> elsewhere.

(Not my solution, but...seems pretty straight-forward) Done.

Hussar

Legend
Or, if you want to go that route, consider it a "charm" effect. That would likely solve that problem fairly well. So long as people can accept that a mundane effect is a "charm". :D

5e should be able to trivially handle that with its "(GM) rulings not rules" ethos.

If the GM determines that their conception of the creature's neurological system/cognitive capacity doesn't comport with being demoralized, then they can just voice that...and, if need be, the Fighter can spend their next use of <Reskinned Portent> elsewhere.

(Not my solution, but...seems pretty straight-forward) Done.
I thought we were trying to reduce the amount of "DM may I" in the fighter.

Uh.

Then the GM can just say "yes." Again, done.

I think maybe the problem that you're citing is just plain intrinsic to 5e (due to design intent). Its a system (unlike tons of other modern systems) that places a GM in a HUGE role as mediator of action resolution. You're not getting around that. Its fundamental to the designed around play ethos.

This isn't a Powered By the Apocalypse system where you're "playing to find out" and the ruleset is light, player-facing, codified, and with significant GM constraint.

Its the absolute inverse (by design).

So maybe you're saying "its impossible to empower players of Fighter characters in the way you're talking about because the ruleset lacks 'GM constraint as a principle' that propels play?" If so..."ok?"

Tony Vargas

Legend
Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan normally play against humans.
Fighters often find themselves in battle against black puddings.
I'm not sure the same psychological rules apply.
They wouldn't.
OTOH, black puddings would be among the most predictable of opponents - the same mechanics would work for that, too.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Michael Jordan first Basketball player to actually make me interested in BB
They wouldn't.
OTOH, black puddings would be among the most predictable of opponents.
Trickable in its own way ... responds to X stimulis..Y way every time. Martial Tricks ought to tear em apart. A charm spell LOL maybe not

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity

There is a fundamental difference between a game asking the DM to make targeted judgments as a referee and the game expecting the DM to be the rules engine. Utilizing GM judgement over fictional positioning where appropriate can make a game run much smoother, but carving out those areas where judgement calls should be made can be done much more artfully.

Alternatively this is where robust use of keywords is helpful. It makes it easier to build in things like specific immunities and resistances.

NotAYakk

Legend
Reskin the Diviner Subclass ability Portent and have it work mechanically in exactly the same way (because that is effectively what happens in our world).
Tactical Leadership: When you finish a long rest, roll 1d20. Until you complete another long rest in response to a d20 being rolled within your line of sight you may either replace a willing ally's d20 roll with this one and grant them temporary HP equal to your fighter level, or frighten a foe until the start of your next turn and replace their d20 roll with this one.

This (a) makes what foes are immune to this obvious, and (b) adds in some flavorful kickers to the ability.

Remove ads