D&D 5E Fixing the Fighter: The Zouave

Undrave

Legend
Hmmm I suppose one could give fighters better ability to use magic items in some way if you are trying trying to hearken to the past.

In 4e allowing a martial type to force a magic item to do its daily ability a second time via heroic exertion ie "spending a healing surge" is on my martial practices list. (there are a few cases where this could be problematic but they are i think rare)

Let them atune to one extra item (maybe word it as limited to weapons or armors) so they can get more non-combat items?

Tony Vargas

Legend
My experience was it never came up ... certainly had the potential to show a fighter as awesome but in practice not really.
Thing was, by the time it started to really matter, the monsters in question had stopped mattering...
...or stopped fighting you directly, per Tucker's Kobolds.

. I kind of think the best ability that could be given would be something along the lines of leadership and kingdom building. I may be nostalgic for those days of ruling domains.
What'd that actually do, though?

I mean, in 1e it was prettymuch a money pit and followers that couldn't much help you. In 3e, the Leadership feat gave you a reasonably useful cohort. In 4e you could gain "leader" abilities as a warlord, and there were Paragon Paths and even the likes of a Legendary Monarch epic destiny, but the focus of the game was adventuring, not running a feudal kingdom.

5e doesn't have much going on along those lines, either.

Hmmm I suppose one could give fighters better ability to use magic items in some way if you are trying trying to hearken to the past.
Always fun to hearken.

5e doesn't 'assume' magic items, though, so like oh-feats'll-fix-it, not really a clear solution.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Let them atune to one extra item (maybe word it as limited to weapons or armors) so they can get more non-combat items?
That is not a bad idea another flash back in the same vein might be to give Paladins blessings that count as magic items attuned.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yes because the paladin just doesn’t have enough already
heheh basically any blessing they get reduces their open slots it could be an ability they get already. I am actually a proponent of the Paladin being a fighter type. So let's say the fighter gets 2 extra attunements. But takes a Paladin oath at level X and gains a blessing the blessing now uses up an extra attunement. The paladin deepens their oath a bit later and the blessing upgrades now they use another attunement up.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
heheh basically any blessing they get reduces their open slots it could be an ability they get already. I am actually a proponent of the Paladin being a fighter type. So let's say the fighter gets 2 extra attunements. But takes a Paladin oath at level X and gains a blessing the blessing now uses up an extra attunement. The paladin deepens their oath a bit later and the blessing upgrades now they use another attunement up.
I don’t even see a paladin as a choice, except one to walk away. They are just given gifts from the gods because they are such an exemplar paragon of virtue. Not like a bureaucracy can teach that lol. I laugh at the concept of paladin having knightly orders. Paladins are not knights. They would most likely be someone like Joan of Arc that came out of nowhere. Imho. Sorry Sir Roland and the knights of Charlemagne. I still love your poems. Camelot had some paladins, but most of them were knights.

basically paladins come out of nowhere. There isnt a school for them.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I don’t even see a paladin as a choice, except one to walk away.
Classes are big things at some levels I do not think we have to have separate things mechanically for these.

Arguably You cannot walk away from who you are -> There would be no walking away if it wasn't a choice.
(That said there indeed may be no walking away though I think of those as the avatar/paragon style concepts).

The oath bound hero was where that old 1e paladin if you act unlawful / go against your code / change your alignment / you lose your power, and become "just" a fighter etc came from.

The big examples of oath bound heroes actually had conflicting oaths in each case they were characters like Lancelot (oath to crown and queen), Samson (marriage and divine), Cu Cuchulain (hospitality and totem)

Remove ads