D&D 5E Fixing the polearm and taking back its seat as generally best nonprojectile weapon from the sword.

Zardnaar

Legend
Spears were use way more on the battlefield, even Romans with pilums.

SCA us mostly a joke, it's giving a best case scenario for a sword- up close.

Hoplites, Alexander the Greats Sarissa, Swiss Pikemen, Vikings etc.

Swords were mostly status weapon. Good for cutting down fleeing Serfs but to make them flee Lance's, spears, arrows often better.

If you have heavy armor, sword, shield and your opponents don't yeah it's great. Most opponents don't have heavy armor or the discipline for formation fighting and in that scenario a spare is fine as well.

Two completely different weapons effective in different scenarios.

What's better a machine gun or panzerfaust? Well what do you need right now?

Most if the time battlefield reach, in a duel sword.

My father was trained in a martial art where the primary effect was pressure points and exploiting deadly vulnerabilities he said the staff while handy was just a way to get more reach it was the art form that made it significant and effective.
Well of course. The skill behind the weapon is necessary to exact meaningful effect. That goes for all weapons. The skill is definitely the more important part unless we are comparing point and click missile and launcher systems to a club or other extreme line up (though it needs not be that extreme)

But also the qualities of the staff (or other polearm) will effect the efficacy of some movements and the ease of producing them.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I would fix their damage. d8/d10 if their was a war spear it would be d12.

And/Or

Give it give it the property of “defensive reach”. Granting a +1 shield bonus. When wielded with two hands or in one hand with no weapon or shield in the other hand.

This is a fantasy game though so swords being good is okay. Spears should be better than they are.

I would fix their damage. d8/d10 if their was a war spear it would be d12.

And/Or

Give it give it the property of “defensive reach”. Granting a +1 shield bonus. When wielded with two hands or in one hand with no weapon or shield in the other hand.

Do you think the crit range of war verses normal types should change depending on the damage die? Im not sure which way i lean on that.

This is a fantasy game though so swords being good is okay. Spears should be better than they are.
I like this option. I think i would add a bonus to disarm checks for the polearms that are specialized for it too. Maybe at the cost of making those ones exotic. Only if they give the bonus to disarm check though.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I like this option. I think i would add a bonus to disarm checks for the polearms that are specialized for it too. Maybe at the cost of making those ones exotic. Only if they give the bonus to disarm check though.
I wouldn’t muck around with crit ranges. I try not to step on the champion’s toes. Maybe add a crit die or a small kicker like an extra d4.

But

If that were the case orc and 1/2 orc barbarians would be wielding spears and terrifying.

Not for me, is my initial reaction. Is it a blanket crit range or circumstantial? I could be persuaded for something like that.
Well im thinking from a 3.5 mi dset primarily where crit ranges are pretty reasonably universally present.

In 5e if you are playing with only occasional crit ranges i think it would make sense for a polearm to go from no crit to crit if attacking someone who is prone though. Polearms allows for a very strong thrust so my reasoning is that pinned against the ground you should reasonably be considered able to wreak absolute havoc. Maybe if you normally dont have a crit but allow ciecumstantials then maybe that could be a circumstance with a 19-20 crit.

Last edited:

Remove ads