D&D 5E Fixing the terrible Grapple feat

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
At my table, I've changed the 3rd bullet point to:

-When you use your reaction to make an attack of opportunity, you can choose to attempt a grapple rather than make a melee attack.
You can already do this with the normal grapple rules. Grapple replaces 1 attack, not your whole action.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
* you to make a grapple or shove check as a bonus action.
* You can grapple as an OA.
* You can grapple creatures 1 size larger than normal.
You can already graplle as an OA, and you can already grapple creatures one size larger. This is all part of basic grapple rules.

Olrox17

Hero
You can already graplle as an OA, and you can already grapple creatures one size larger. This is all part of basic grapple rules.
Grappling specifically calls for an Attack Action, and opportunity attacks are not an Attack Action (ironically enough). Also, I think mellored meant to say huge creatures (since normally you can grab up to large sized creatures, one size larger than normal means huge).

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Grappling specifically calls for an Attack Action, and opportunity attacks are not an Attack Action (ironically enough). Also, I think mellored meant to say huge creatures (since normally you can grab up to large sized creatures, one size larger than normal means huge).
It also says it replaces one attack. Seems like a grey area for DM ruling, not changing a feat. Or kick it up to Crawford. Don't see why it couldn't apply, unless you object to a poor man's Sentinel.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
For my Curse of Strahd campaigns I had PCs start at level 0 with no class selected, but everyone started with a feat of some kind. And because they were new PCs I wanted to take all of the +1 ability bonuses out of some of the feats, which meant adapting or making some more powerful. As a result, I ended up merging many feats together and adjusting them to give a more comprehensive characteristic for a character who selected them. In this particular case, I actually merged parts of both Grappler and Tavern Brawler together to create a stronger unarmed or weapon-less battler character concept:

BRAWLER
- You are proficient with improvised weapons and unarmed strikes.
- Your unarmed strikes and improvised weapon attacks use a d4 for damage.
- When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike or improvised weapon on your turn you can use a Bonus action to make an unarmed strike or attempt to grapple the target.
- Whenever you make a STR (Athletics) check to grapple a creature or escape a grapple, you are considered proficient in the Athletics skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check.
- You have Advantage on attack rolls against a creature you are grappling.
- You can use your Action to try to pin a creature grappled by you-- make another grapple check and if successful both you and your target are Restrained until the grapple ends.

This will probably seem OP'd, but bear in mind a lot of the other feats in the PH were reworked and made stronger as well. And in both of my current games, a PC has this feat but it has not even come close to causing any issues because they both focus mainly on their weapons primarily (there is a Blood Hunter and a Barbarian that have them), and only use the Brawler abilities when they make sense or they lose their weapons. I'm sure other more tactically-inclined players might find exploits in the feat, but my games do not include players who go that deep into the rules to try and find them. Thus, this combo feat is flavorful and a nice addition to the PCs that have it.

Fanaelialae

Legend
It also says it replaces one attack. Seems like a grey area for DM ruling, not changing a feat. Or kick it up to Crawford. Don't see why it couldn't apply, unless you object to a poor man's Sentinel.

It actually has already been addressed in Sage Advice (see SA Compendium pg 10):

Can an opportunity attack be used to make a grapple or a shove?
Grappling/shoving are part of the Attack action (PH, 195), not an opportunity attack. Take the Ready action to grapple/shove outside your turn.

Bayonet

First Post
I've house-ruled Grappler so that, in addition to advantage on all Grappling related checks, Grapplers can

1) do 1d4+str dmg on a 'shove' (reskinned as a throw/slam/hard takedown, etc.)

2) Attempt to strangle an enemy. Grapplers must first roll to immobilize (restrain) the enemy, then pass three consecutive Grapple checks. Strangled enemy is brought to 0hp rendered unconscious. Killed, if Grappler maintains the choke for another round.

3) Attempt to cripple an enemy. Grappler must first roll to restrain an enemy, then must make a contested Athletics check to attack a limb. Success means the enemy takes 1d4 + str dmg and is under some sort of crippling effect (only one arm can be used, disadvantage on physical attacks, -10' of movement, etc.)

CTurbo

Explorer
I've house-ruled Grappler so that, in addition to advantage on all Grappling related checks, Grapplers can

1) do 1d4+str dmg on a 'shove' (reskinned as a throw/slam/hard takedown, etc.)

2) Attempt to strangle an enemy. Grapplers must first roll to immobilize (restrain) the enemy, then pass three consecutive Grapple checks. Strangled enemy is brought to 0hp rendered unconscious. Killed, if Grappler maintains the choke for another round.

3) Attempt to cripple an enemy. Grappler must first roll to restrain an enemy, then must make a contested Athletics check to attack a limb. Success means the enemy takes 1d4 + str dmg and is under some sort of crippling effect (only one arm can be used, disadvantage on physical attacks, -10' of movement, etc.)

I like this. This is similar to what my DM lets me do with my grappling Barb. He lets me make a str check on an already grappled enemy to break a limb or neck. The DC is usually 15-17 for a limb break and DC20 to break a neck of a similarly sized creature which I'm 1 for 2 on attempts.
's
He also lets me "slam" an enemy for usually 1d4 or 1d6+str depending on who what and how I do it. It's a fun build for sure. Works best with other damage dealers in the party though. I found our party to be low on DPR so my char ends up using a weapon more than I intended.

Remove ads