D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury Dragons Ranked By Challenge Rating

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items. By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are: Ancient crystal (19) Ancient topaz (20) Ancient emerald (21) Ancient moonstone (21) Ancient sapphire (22) Elder brain dragon (22) Ancient amethyst (23) Ancient dragon turtle (24) Gem...

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items.

fbtod.png

By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are:
  • Ancient crystal (19)
  • Ancient topaz (20)
  • Ancient emerald (21)
  • Ancient moonstone (21)
  • Ancient sapphire (22)
  • Elder brain dragon (22)
  • Ancient amethyst (23)
  • Ancient dragon turtle (24)
  • Gem greatwyrm (26)
  • Chromatic greatwyrm (27)
  • Metallic greatwyrm (28)
  • Apects of Bahamut and Tiamat (30)
Interestingly, it appears that the great wyrm category is divided into three -- gem, chromatic, metallic -- rather than by each dragon type.

There's also an alphabetical list of all 20 dragon types in the book:
  • Amethyst
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Brass
  • Bronze
  • Copper
  • Crystal
  • Deep
  • Dragon turtle
  • Emerald
  • Faerie
  • Gold
  • Green
  • Moonstone
  • Red
  • Sapphire
  • Shadow
  • Silver
  • Topaz
  • White

dave2008

Legend
Faerie dragon coverage was something completely unexpected, and I'm definitely intrigued. It's something I really hadn't much thought of before!

I do hope that steel dragons get some sort of coverage, perhaps using silver dragons as a template for stats, like was done in Dungeon of the Mad Mage...
Make some sense with the FeyWild adventure coming out this month.

dave2008

Legend
I am happy to see the Aspects of Bahamut and Tiamat are CR 30. I am hoping they will be mythic as well. I am also interested in what they mean by "Aspect." I wonder if that ties into the new lore of the greatwyrms (which I could like). It also seems to be a change from when they said the Tiamat in RoT was the full fledged goddess. I cautiously hopeful this is a bump up in power that is sorely needed IMO.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads