D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury Dragons Ranked By Challenge Rating

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items. By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are: Ancient crystal (19) Ancient topaz (20) Ancient emerald (21) Ancient moonstone (21) Ancient sapphire (22) Elder brain dragon (22) Ancient amethyst (23) Ancient dragon turtle (24) Gem...

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items.

fbtod.png

By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are:
  • Ancient crystal (19)
  • Ancient topaz (20)
  • Ancient emerald (21)
  • Ancient moonstone (21)
  • Ancient sapphire (22)
  • Elder brain dragon (22)
  • Ancient amethyst (23)
  • Ancient dragon turtle (24)
  • Gem greatwyrm (26)
  • Chromatic greatwyrm (27)
  • Metallic greatwyrm (28)
  • Apects of Bahamut and Tiamat (30)
Interestingly, it appears that the great wyrm category is divided into three -- gem, chromatic, metallic -- rather than by each dragon type.

There's also an alphabetical list of all 20 dragon types in the book:
  • Amethyst
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Brass
  • Bronze
  • Copper
  • Crystal
  • Deep
  • Dragon turtle
  • Emerald
  • Faerie
  • Gold
  • Green
  • Moonstone
  • Red
  • Sapphire
  • Shadow
  • Silver
  • Topaz
  • White

That Red Greatwyrm's appearance reminds me of the volcanic catastrophic dragon from 4E. I wonder if Greatwyrms are in some way a new take on catastrophics.
It's also destroying what looks to be a city on stilts on a lake, presumably as an homage to The Hobbit.

I also noticed that it appears to have a fiery aura - I wonder if that's intentional and the greatwyrms will have an elemental aura that will do damage to characters within a certain distance...

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I'm sad that there is such a small list of new dragons in here. I'd love to see lung dragons, catastrophic dragons, cloud dragons, mirage dragons, song dragons, etc, etc. I know there's only so much room, but :(

Elder brain dragon, not elder dragon brain. A remake of the brainstealer dragon?

1632195512727.png

Of course we miss a lot of species but there was not enough space for only one book, but I hope to see a "Draconomicon II" or something like this. Dragons as PC are a serious challenge for the game designers in the 5th Ed. A remake of "Council of Wyrms" could be interesting, but I advice to give enough space for future species if these are added later.

Maybe WotC doesn't know their own plans about the other species, like the oriental imperial/lungs, the planar, outer (stelar, moon, sun..). I hope we also to can new dragonborn subraces, for example based in the lungs.

Linnorms aren't my cup of tea, but they are perfect to be the monsters who rule Lovecraftian cults. Even a linnorm could be a dark lord in Ravenloft.

Are there gem dragons in Krynn (or Krynnsphere)? Maybe these would rather to live in the Dream-realm, something like the Feywild but more linked with the psionic powers.

RavinRay

Explorer
They've changed the hierarchy of the gem dragons back to 2e with Amethyst as the most powerful I see. In 3e Topaz was the most powerful (99% identical stats with Silver), probably because the Multiple Ability Dependency of 3.0 psionics dictated that Topaz should have a high Con to effectively manifest psychometabolism powers, its specialization.

They've changed the hierarchy of the gem dragons back to 2e with Amethyst as the most powerful I see. In 3e Topaz was the most powerful (99% identical stats with Silver), probably because the Multiple Ability Dependency of 3.0 psionics dictated that Topaz should have a high Con to effectively manifest psychometabolism powers, its specialization.
Huh, never noticed that about 3e topaz dragons, the CRs run almost exactly the same as amethysts, but they are slightly higher in the middle age categories.

And that's weird, as amethysts were the most powerful in 1e and 2e, and have always been described as the most powerful of the gem dragons...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm sad that there is such a small list of new dragons in here. I'd love to see lung dragons, catastrophic dragons, cloud dragons, mirage dragons, song dragons, etc, etc. I know there's only so much room, but :(
These leaks so far only show some high end CR monsters, we know there are more stat blocks in the Bestiary.

RavinRay

Explorer
And that's weird, as amethysts were the most powerful in 1e and 2e, and have always been described as the most powerful of the gem dragons...

As they should, as real-world amethysts were at one point the gemstones of royalty. Topaz never ranked that high among gemstones. And of course amethyst dragons got their poison immunity from Greek mythology: Dionysus spilled wine over the statue the nymph Amethyst had been transformed into, turning her purple. Hence wearing amethyst protected owners from inebriation.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
I don't really buy 5e books anymore due to financial constraints meaning I focus on my game of choice (PF2E), but I'll be damned if I don't make an exception for that alt cover it's too gorgeous.
My only nit-pick is I wished they'd just called it treasury of dragons, I know that doesn't follow convention, but I just think it sounds better

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads