D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury Dragons Ranked By Challenge Rating

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items. By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are: Ancient crystal (19) Ancient topaz (20) Ancient emerald (21) Ancient moonstone (21) Ancient sapphire (22) Elder brain dragon (22) Ancient amethyst (23) Ancient dragon turtle (24) Gem...

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items.

fbtod.png

By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are:
  • Ancient crystal (19)
  • Ancient topaz (20)
  • Ancient emerald (21)
  • Ancient moonstone (21)
  • Ancient sapphire (22)
  • Elder brain dragon (22)
  • Ancient amethyst (23)
  • Ancient dragon turtle (24)
  • Gem greatwyrm (26)
  • Chromatic greatwyrm (27)
  • Metallic greatwyrm (28)
  • Apects of Bahamut and Tiamat (30)
Interestingly, it appears that the great wyrm category is divided into three -- gem, chromatic, metallic -- rather than by each dragon type.

There's also an alphabetical list of all 20 dragon types in the book:
  • Amethyst
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Brass
  • Bronze
  • Copper
  • Crystal
  • Deep
  • Dragon turtle
  • Emerald
  • Faerie
  • Gold
  • Green
  • Moonstone
  • Red
  • Sapphire
  • Shadow
  • Silver
  • Topaz
  • White

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
It looks like there are more than just five gem dragon types?
  • Amethyst
  • Crystal
  • Emerald
  • Moonstone
  • Sapphire
  • Topaz
Or is Crystal not considered a gem type?

While I could always use more dragons, I am surprised by how many more dragons we are getting. IIRC most of the previous editions of the Draconomicon don't introduce this many new dragon types.
The previous Draconomicons focused solely on the traditional 10 metallic and chromatics. This is definitely a marked improvement in coverage. We'll probably see more info on gem dragons here than everything from earlier editions combined!

Faerie dragon coverage was something completely unexpected, and I'm definitely intrigued. It's something I really hadn't much thought of before!

I do hope that steel dragons get some sort of coverage, perhaps using silver dragons as a template for stats, like was done in Dungeon of the Mad Mage...

if they do that for Silver Dragons, I wonder if will do that with other types, like a Template for Volcano Dragons for Red Dragons, Mitheril Dragons using Gold Dragons, etc...

We know that there's some dragonborn coverage in the book, including new types of gem dragonborn.

Kobolds were covered pretty thoroughly in Volo's, although we may get some updates considering the views on humanoids have changed since that books was published...

I think the Kobolds in the UA, like the Hobgoblins in the Feywild Folk article, were intended for a book coming NEXT year.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads