D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury Dragons Ranked By Challenge Rating

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items.

fbtod.png

By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are:
  • Ancient crystal (19)
  • Ancient topaz (20)
  • Ancient emerald (21)
  • Ancient moonstone (21)
  • Ancient sapphire (22)
  • Elder brain dragon (22)
  • Ancient amethyst (23)
  • Ancient dragon turtle (24)
  • Gem greatwyrm (26)
  • Chromatic greatwyrm (27)
  • Metallic greatwyrm (28)
  • Apects of Bahamut and Tiamat (30)
Interestingly, it appears that the great wyrm category is divided into three -- gem, chromatic, metallic -- rather than by each dragon type.

There's also an alphabetical list of all 20 dragon types in the book:
  • Amethyst
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Brass
  • Bronze
  • Copper
  • Crystal
  • Deep
  • Dragon turtle
  • Emerald
  • Faerie
  • Gold
  • Green
  • Moonstone
  • Red
  • Sapphire
  • Shadow
  • Silver
  • Topaz
  • White

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Elder.

Brain.

Dragon.
I'm assuming that it's an Elder Brain that acts like an Intellect Devourer (replaces the brain of the dragon and takes control of the body). If that's the case, that's freaky and awesome! If it's not, that's how they're going to work in my games! (I'd also probably replace their breath weapon with a flurry of tentacles that come out of the Dragon's mouth and attack and grab enemies.)

MarkB

Legend
I'm assuming that it's an Elder Brain that acts like an Intellect Devourer (replaces the brain of the dragon and takes control of the body). If that's the case, that's freaky and awesome! If it's not, that's how they're going to work in my games! (I'd also probably replace their breath weapon with a flurry of tentacles that come out of the Dragon's mouth and attack and grab enemies.)
It could be that they've bred special tadpoles to infest dragons, as they did for beholders, and the resulting being automatically has power equivalent to an Elder Brain.

I'm guessing it'll have a psychic damage breath weapon, and probably the ability to tentacle-grapple multiple opponents, and maybe extract their brains en masse.

Hopefully the Great Wyrms preserve the differences between the varieties rather than replacing them. They might be some sort of template, but it's odd that a template would preserve the CR. It's probably more likely that it's a complete stat block that list different breath weapons and immunities based on the variety. If they make the stats higher than any of the individual species that's workable. Hopefully they know all the skills and such of the constituents rather than forgetting things in their old age.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It could be that they've bred special tadpoles to infest dragons, as they did for beholders, and the resulting being automatically has power equivalent to an Elder Brain.
That was a thing in previous editions, called a Brainstealer Dragon. I'm assuming these two are at least a little different lore-wise, otherwise why would they bother with using a different name?
I'm guessing it'll have a psychic damage breath weapon, and probably the ability to tentacle-grapple multiple opponents, and maybe extract their brains en masse.
That's probably fairly likely.

Weiley31

Legend
I think I'll buy this one and finally gather the courage to make a huge epic campaign mixing Lost Mines + Dragon of Icepeak + Tyranny of Dragon + Red Hand of DOOM and Storm King's Thunder.
You can totally have the Dragon Slaying sword in Dragon of Icepeak become an upgradable weapon so that way, by the time you get to the End Game portion of Tyranny of Dragons, It's a fully Legendary/Artifact type weapon.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases