D&D 4E Flowery power names vs pragmatically descriptive.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Some powers seem very mundanely named like say a Cleave interestingly I have heard far more flowery named maneuvers in real life Hema texts from the knight era than many we have for the fighter. Others like Steel Serpent Strike sound closer to authentic.

I have a couple I named Twisting Disarm and Smashing Disarm. Which are rather mundane. Surgical Strike (which requires you to be trained in healing) may be a little better but I think maybe "Bite of the Chiurgens Blade" could be better.

To me one of the advantages of the flowery language is it doesn't imply your method of accomplishing the thing is generic. A barbarians Smashing Disarm might not cause them to grant advantage when using it and have Barbarian/Bezerk clauses. So naming the fighters ability "Brazen Reaving of Steel" ... could be an idea and sounds more disciplined/sophisticated perhaps.

I just had an epic image of Sauron like knight swinging ones huge two handed weapon and disarming a number of lesser enemies with one sweep. (and realized a multi-target attack defeating a bunch of enemies could be visualized that way just fine)

Anyway

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
End Him Rightly Fighter Attack 1
You hold your spear and sword together on your arm, unscrew the pommel of your sword and throw it at your opponent vigorously, close in with the throw and use your sword or spear, whatever suits you best.
Encounter • Martial, weapon
Standard Action Ranged
Requirement: You must be wielding a blade and a spear.
Target: One creature in range
Attack: Dexterity vs. Will
Hit: The target is surprised until the end of your turn.
Effect: You can shift up to two spaces towards the target and make a melee basic attack against it using your sword or your spear.

Charlaquin

Honestly I feel like it’s a bit weak for an encounter power, but the talk of attack names made me think of it, and I couldn’t resist.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Honestly I feel like it’s a bit weak for an encounter power, but the talk of attack names made me think of it, and I couldn’t resist.
You used surprise as a the jargon technical turn i was kind of surprised by that ... are there other powers doing that mid fight?

Charlaquin

You used surprise as a the jargon technical turn i was kind of surprised by that ... are there other powers doing that mid fight?
I don’t really remember, it’s been so long since I played 4e. Honestly, my first instinct was to go with Stunned, but I remembered Stunned being really powerful, so I looked up a list of 4e Conditions and went with Surprised based on the name. Seemed like the most appropriate reaction to having a sword pommel thrown at you 🤣

Remove ads