D&D 5E Fluff & Rule, Lore & Crunch. The Interplay of Class, System, and Color in D&D

Classes, what do you think?

• 1. Classes are designed to reflect both a certain set of rules as well as lore.

Votes: 63 63.6%
  • 2. Classes are designed to reflect a certain set of rules, but all lore is optional.

Votes: 26 26.3%
  • 3. I have some opinion not adequately portrayed in the two options and I will put in the comments.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • 4. I have no idea what this poll is about, even after reading the initial post.

Votes: 3 3.0%

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
After reading through the excellent post by Jon Peterson (Does System Matter) and the related comment thread here, I was thinking of the very specific interplay of rules and fluff that occurs in D&D.

To move back for a second, for better or worse, D&D has always been a "class-based" system. People can, and do, argue about what a class means. Is it a job? A descriptor? An archetype? Just a convenient grabbag of abilities? Regardless of the exact nature of what a class is, D&D is a class sytem.

Assuming this classist system (ahem), what does that really mean? Well, I was thinking about this because D&D generally (and 5e) tends to have a mix of what, for lack of a better phrasing, you can call "lore" and "crunch." (lore is also fluff, crunch is also rules, and I often used the terms interchangeably). Sometimes, the lore can be heavy and will really influence the crunch (arguably, the TSR lines of D&D). Sometimes, the crunch will be at the front and the lore will follow (arguably 4e). 5e is a useful way to examine this; for example:

The PHB says, under dwarf traits, "Darkvision. Accustomed to life underground, you have superior vision in the dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. ..."

In that, we have both the system (rule) that provides specific language regarding how darkvision works if you play a dwarf, as well as additional color language (fluff) saying that it's because dwarves live underground.

Which brings up the question that many a D&D group has- what if the dwarves aren't living underground? Do tropical coconut dwarves living out on the islands have darkvision? Well, maybe only I have that question, but the general principle stands. At what point does the fluff interact and inform the rule, and at what point is the fluff just ... fluff, completely devoid of any rule-like substance or any impact on the game?

This becomes important when it comes to how people view classes in the world of D&D. A common example of this is the Druid.

Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal).

Initially, there has to be the determination of whether this is a rule or fluff. If it's a rule, what is the penalty? Does the druid explode? Cease to exist? If a captor encases the druid in plate armor, does the druid vanish into a singularity? If every other class can take advantage of some advantages of MC'ing, why not druids (see PHB 164). A paladin that falls from grace becomes an Oathbreaker; what happens to a druid that deliberately wears metal armor?

While this might seem nitpicky (most tables will just answer this with a resounding, "Duh, don't wear metal armor," while a minority will be all, "You can't tell me what to do!") the issue comes up fairly often when it comes to the correlation of class and lore. A warlock has a patron, while a cleric has a deity. What are the lore issues involved with those (and is this a DM or player-driven issue, and what happens when there is a conflict between patron and deity).

So I was wondering what the general outlook of people are given the way 5e is deigned today. It certainly reads as "lore heavy" in many ways, given the natural language it is written in. Nevertheless, many people play the classes as if they are more of a grab-bag of abilities, removed from any particular conception of what that class might "mean."

I looked for some prior threads on the subject, but didn't find much. On the advice of @Oofta I thought I'd put a poll up.

jgsugden

Legend
They want classes to be both mechanically, and thematically, distinct.

They do not want you to feel that a ranger is a reskinned fighter, sharing the same mechanics but with a different 'skin' thematically.

They do not want the druid and cleric to both feel like essentially the same priests, sharing the same 'skin' thematically, despite having different mechanics.

I think the balance is fairly well done. If you break down the mechanics modularly too much more, you end up with GURPS, which tends towards optimization and a lack of theme. They need to do some repackaging in light of elements now considered insensitive, but overall the approach gets my approval (if they'd included psionics in it from the start).

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
So, I believe that classes are supposed to reflect (or maybe, be) a set of rules, and they are supposed to reflect (somewhat) lore. I don't think every class is going to be the same place on that spectrum; I don't even think every subclass (even in a given class) is going to be the same place on that spectrum.

I'm not sure that's a super-helpful answer, and I'm not sure it adds much. Oh comma well.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So, I believe that classes are supposed to reflect (or maybe, be) a set of rules, and they are supposed to reflect (somewhat) lore. I don't think every class is going to be the same place on that spectrum; I don't even think every subclass (even in a given class) is going to be the same place on that spectrum.

I'm not sure that's a super-helpful answer, and I'm not sure it adds much. Oh comma well.

I think it is interesting and helpful to explore some of the assumptions that we have about why we think that is the way it is.

For example, I think that if you are playing (say) 1e, there is an assumption that the lore is heavily baked into the rules, such that the two are inseparable in some ways. You can expand, modify, and change it easily (and you were expected to), but even minor modification to the "lore" of a class often necessitate creating a new class (or homebrew).

I don't know that this is necessarily the case with 5e. But then it brings up interesting questions when it comes to the interstitial areas of the intersection of lore and rules. I agree that some classes (Druid, Paladin, for example) are more "lore heavy" in 5e. But again, if you have a Warlock owing allegiance to a patron, and they multiclass with Cleric owing allegiance to a particular god, and then they thirdclass with a Druid owing allegiance to a different god, and then they fourthmeal to a Taco Bell for a chalupa, how bad will they get the diarrhea?

These are the things that need answering.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
This becomes important when it comes to how people view classes in the world of D&D. A common example of this is the Druid.

Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal).

I think this is a good example, because you can read that "lore" as applying in two different ways, and those aren't the only two ways it can be read.

1. A druid will not not normally wear a suit of metal armor.
2. A druid will never wear a suit of metal armor.

If, for example the PCs were infiltrating a bad guy's fully armed and operational battle station and to blend in they had to don a suit of black and white enameled platemail to fit in....would the druid do so because it makes sense for the ruse or would they have this strange line in the sand that doing so is impossible so they have to wildshape into a bear that the rest of the party can pretend is headed to the detention block AA-23.

I am a HUGE fan of reskinning almost anything in the game that has rules, so I voted that the design is rules only and all lore can be ignored. A MONK doesn't have to know karate or learn in a monastery, a MONK is just a collection of game rules that can be used to represent that lore (but also can be used to represent something completely different like a primitive warrior who doesn't use armor or rage or even have a super high strength but yet still can be a factor in melee combat.

Classes have more theme than lore.
Patron, Oath, Gods are thematic and can be adapted to many setting style.
Even the Druid armor restriction is thematic, and can easily get overpassed.
Classes can be restricted to players only, or can be used also to build Npc and setting lore.
So a PC can be the only cleric in the world, or a Cleric as many other priest of various gods. It is up to the setting.
Monsters manual don’t use classes at all, even the Volo guide Npc are lightly referencing to classes.
So Optional.

I think it is interesting and helpful to explore some of the assumptions that we have about why we think that is the way it is.

For example, I think that if you are playing (say) 1e, there is an assumption that the lore is heavily baked into the rules, such that the two are inseparable in some ways. You can expand, modify, and change it easily (and you were expected to), but even minor modification to the "lore" of a class often necessitate creating a new class (or homebrew).

I don't know that this is necessarily the case with 5e. But then it brings up interesting questions when it comes to the interstitial areas of the intersection of lore and rules. I agree that some classes (Druid, Paladin, for example) are more "lore heavy" in 5e. But again, if you have a Warlock owing allegiance to a patron, and they multiclass with Cleric owing allegiance to a particular god, and then they thirdclass with a Druid owing allegiance to a different god, and then they fourthmeal to a Taco Bell for a chalupa, how bad will they get the diarrhea?

These are the things that need answering.
For your question, activated charcoal is very efficient.

but otherwise, Role of the various patron, gods, oath is very attached to the setting and DM mood.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases