D&D 3E/3.5 For 3.5, which race needs tweaking.

Which race is in most need of tweaking in 3.5?

• Dwarf

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Elf

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gnome

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 60 51.7%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Halfing

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Human

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • None of them need tweaking.

Votes: 11 9.5%

Ysgarran

Just curious. The half-thread got me wondering if everyone agrees on this.

Which basic race in MOST need of an adjustment for 3.5?

edit:
I suppose I could have made the poll a bit more broad and added an option for which direction to tweak in. I'm guessing (and I could be wrong) that those who are voting for halfings are in the camp that says haflings get too many bonuses.

Last edited:

smetzger

Explorer
Halflings need to get back their hairy feet.

Given that LoTR was about to come out before the introduction of 3e ... what was WOTC thinking when they changed this.

BTW what is a halfing :) ?

Last edited:

Aaron2

Explorer
All of them

Where's the "all of them" selection?

Halflings need the most mod. They just have a strange laundry list of various unrelated abilities (+1 to thrown weapons?,WTF is that) that are hard to keep track of.

It would be nice if the various race got to pick and choose what abilities they have. ForEx: Dwarves could get either Stonesense or Weapon Fam (waraxe),

Aaron

Ysgarran

Re: All of them

Aaron2 said:

Halflings need the most mod. They just have a strange laundry list of various unrelated abilities (+1 to thrown weapons?,WTF is that) that are hard to keep track of.
+1 to thrown weapons seems to be one of those leftovers from LotR.

Hobbits are described as having a good throwing arm. I can't remember the characters but there is a scene from the book where one of the hobbits beans someone in the nose with an apple core.

smetzger

Explorer
AuraSeer said:
Come on, guys. Tolkien's estate had to sue TSR once already, I don't think anyone wants a repeat of that...

And they kept their hairy feet then. Of course the conspiracy theororist in me says that the Tolkien estate contacted WOTC before LoTR came out and said "drop the hairy feet". :)

That was a really weird settlement. TSR agreed to use Halfling which is a word that Tolkien coined and agreed _not_ to use Hobbit, which is in the public domain. And now Halfling is available to use under the OGL, I wonder if the Tolkien estate knows about that.

Last edited:

Merlion

First Post
AuraSeer said:
Come on, guys. Tolkien's estate had to sue TSR once already, I don't think anyone wants a repeat of that...

Elves are immortal in all the myths that they are actualy based on, and much of fantasy literature..wizards could not get in trouble with the Tolkien estate for that or the hairy feet.
I agree that Elves probably should be immortal...but I know wizards is almost certainly not going to do that since they never have in the past and it could raise oddities. They should have the longest lifespan by far, and 750 years seems a little short to me.
Everyones seen my views on Half Elves. Half orcs could maybe use a tweak too. Halflings should probably have low-light vision. I dont really see any problems with any of the other races myself.

Remove ads