D&D 3E/3.5 Fighter build advice

Voadam

Legend
Straight fighter. Plate Mail. All in on archery feats and defensive ones like improved toughness and the save defense ones. Whatever race appeals.

Fighters can do fine in melee without many feats. BAB, hp, and heavy armor is generally enough.

Archery is a big set of themed feats with a bunch in the core and heavy armor artillery archery is an effective build. You can get your full attack going without spending a round charging to close. The only thing tough is avoiding the AoO for ranged, but five foot steps can sometimes take care of that. There are some builds and PRCs that eliminate them as well but I don't remember specifics off the top of my head, and a bunch that I vaguely remember were 3rd party.

Fighters can even spend one of their normal feats on a skill booster to be OK at a given skill without giving up too much of their combat build.

I would recommend specializing in at least one class skill as a character hook. Even cross class for the languages can pay off learning a new language every other level.

balthanon

Explorer
Straight fighter. Plate Mail. All in on archery feats and defensive ones like improved toughness and the save defense ones. Whatever race appeals.

Going this route you really want to do Zen Archery-- you're wasting 90% of the things a high Dex can accomplish if you're running around in platemail. You might as well focus on Wisdom instead. (Well, to some extent-- not as much point for a pure fighter, admittedly unless you're taking feats to capitalize on it.)

Actually, this reminds me of a fun build that wasn't straight fighter but multiclassed into Soulbow. You got Zen Archery for free plus Wisdom to damage on infinite arrows made of force, so you ended up being a true turret-- you didn't move, but you could attack almost anything in sight. The original builds utilized Fighter/Soulknife and then Dwarven Defender for the defensive stance bonuses and later variants incorporated Tome of Battle-- specifically the prestige class that created 10 foot pillars under you so you always had the height advantage.

It was a cool concept I wish I had played at some point.

Last edited:

aglondier

Explorer
Dual wield a bastard sword and light flail. Use the flail to do trips, and the bastard sword to beat them while they are prone. If you fail to trip and are forced to drop the flail, simply adjust to a two-handed grip on the sword.

Remove ads