• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For Gawd's sake recommend something for me to read!

Fiery James

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
Science fiction, high on the weird-o-meter: Ilium by Dan Simmons. There's a sequel, Olympos, out now or coming out soon.

I just finished re-reading Ilium and started Olympos last night.

Dan Simmons rules.

- JB

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
Pretty much anything by or co-authored with David Webber. His most well known series is the Honor Harrington books, which are almost literally Admiral Nelson in SPACE! Terrific Battle scenes.

Coupling from BBC America - 3 Seasons out (though typically short British "Seasons"). One of the the funniest things I have ever seen in my entire life.

How to Make War - If you could have only 1 book on How to Make War, this book would be it. It covers pretty much every aspect of war that you could think to ask about. James Dunnagan has a witty and entertaining style, while being extremely informative.

Dirty Little Secrets (also by James Dunnagan - Several books) : Various little oddities of war and military technology. There's a general book and one for several wars (WWII, Viet Nam, etc...). My single favorite bit is the Suvovinovu Effect, which states that the side with the more impressive uniforms is likely to be the side that looses the war.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Tetsubo said:
EXQUISITE CORPSE by Poppy Z. Brite

One of the best horror novels that I ever read. I think her entire body of work is excellent.
If you like that, Tetsubo, I highly, highly recommend Joyce Carol Oates's Zombie. It's got similar themes, but is much....more realistic, I suppose. It's written from the killer's viewpoint, and convinced me that however much I adore Ms. Oates's writing, I never, never want to sleep in the same house as her. [edit: I want to emphasize that neither Brite's nor Oates's books are for the faint of heart: they make Psycho look like Little House on the Prairie. Be warned!]

My other favorite novel by her, A Bloodsmoor Romance, has been described "as if Little Women were written by Stephen King." It's an apt analogy for a deliciously twisted, surreal take on Victorian novels. Not the easiest book to get into, but man, once you're hooked, you're hooked.

Perdido Street Station and His Dark Materials are among my favorite fantasy works of the past decade; add Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and you've got my three favorites. However, those first two are famously controversial; people seem to love them or hate them, and neither side seems willing to give an inch :). Try them out for sure, but if you find yourself furious at them, don't say I didn't warn you. It's worth the risk, in case you're one of those folks who, like me, is swept away by their monstrous beauty.

Finally, some old-school adventure: you can't go wrong with Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo. It's sometimes called the greatest revenge story ever told, with good reason, and it's got it all. An absolute masterpiece.

Daniel

Last edited:

Seonaid

Explorer
I was really disappointed by the second and third books of His Dark Materials, but it's worth it to read the series. The first book alone is great, and once you've read it, if you can stand his writing style (which can be annoying, I will grant), you won't want to miss the others.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Don't be swayed (either way) by the "will make you believe in God" reviews.

Pants

First Post
Shemeska said:
Try 'Perdido Street Station' by China Meiville. His work was suggested to me and after starting that book I went out and bought his next two ('The Scar', 'Iron Council') the same day. That good.
The Arcanaloth speaks the truth. :)
China Mieville's Perdido Street Station is really good. The Scar is a little different, but even better IMO.

I also recommend:
R Scott Bakker's The Prince of Nothing Series. Start with The Darkness that Comes Before.
George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. Start with A Game of Thrones.
Steven Erikson's The Malazan Books of the Fallen. Start with Gardens of the Moon.

And, if you don't want to read unfinished series, try Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, which starts with Assassin's Apprentice.

Glen Cook's The Black Company is a short, easy to read trilogy that starts with The Black Company. Very grim, kinda gritty, more military-styled fantasy.

Tad William's Otherland is pretty fun, though a bit too long. The first book is City of Golden Shadow and the series is four books long and it is finished! It's a very interesting sci-fi story, though it kinda deflates near the end.

American Gods and Neverwhere are good, stand-alone books by Neil Gaiman.
Good Omens is a truly excellent collaborative novel by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.
Salem's Lot is a damn creepy vampire story by Stephen King.
Eyes of the Dragon is a nice twist on the standard Fairy tale story by Stephen King.

KaosDevice

Explorer
Wow, thanks for all the great advice...a trip to the library/bookstore is definetly in order. A lot of your suggestions I've read and either loved or hated but I appreciate your suggesting them just the same.

Thanks all! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads